Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
12769 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2009 2:52 PM by bofh4321 RSS
bofh4321 Newcomer 13 posts since
Jul 13, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2009 11:39 AM

epo 4.5, agent 4.5, agent to server comm port

Hi,

I installed EPO 4.5 on a windows 2003 SP2 server.  This server already had IIS installed so ports 80 and 443 were in use.  When I installed EPO I changed the
agent to server port to 8098 and the agent to server secure port to 8099.  I manually installed the Mcafee agent 4.5 on a XP SP3 PC and did a cmdagent /p to which I get

C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework>CmdAgent.exe /p

Error:***Agent is not available to enforce policy.
Error:***Failed to send command to McAfee Agent ***

cmdagent /s says the agent service is now running.  However if I send events I get "agent failed to send events".

So is the problem seems that the agent is trying to communicate with the EPO over port 80 and not getting a response.  How do I change the communication port on the client so the agent uses 8098 and 8099?

Thanks,

• Sailendra Pamidi McAfee SME 376 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    1. Dec 4, 2009 11:48 AM (in response to bofh4321)
    Re: epo 4.5, agent 4.5, agent to server comm port

Hi,

The port information is stored in sitelist.xml - if you changed the port numbers, you can copy the updated sitelist.xml from the ePO server and update the sitelist used by the agent from the command line.

frminst /install=agent /siteinfo=C:\sitelist.xml
  • Sailendra Pamidi McAfee SME 376 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    3. Dec 5, 2009 12:19 AM (in response to bofh4321)

Sorry, forgot to add, you will need to copy two additional files srpubkey.bin and reqseckey.bin from the ePO master repository (...\<epo_installation_directory>\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409\)
    to the folder where you are running the frminst.exe command from. These two files need to be present for the command to work.

Also refer to KB53874, which is related.

• jstanley McAfee SME 366 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    5. Dec 7, 2009 6:03 PM (in response to bofh4321)

Rebuild the agent package in the master repository so it has the correct sitelist then forceinstall it on a client:

1- Stop all 3 EPO services

2- Navigate to this directory: <EPO Install directory\DB\Software\Current\EPOAgent3000\install\0409\

3- Delete framepkg.exe and framework.z

4- Start all 3 EPO services

5- Wait a while for the framepkg.exe to get rebuild (sometimes it takes a few minutes)

6- Forceinstall that agent on a client and it should start communicating (framepkg.exe /install=agent /forceinstall)

If that fixes it on one you should be able to push the agent from EPO with the "forceinstall" option selected to get the rest of the clients communicating.

If your still having a problem then you may want to check this log file and see if the message at the bottom is "The ePolicy Orchestrator server has stopped.":

<EPO Install Directory>\DB\Logs\server.log

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,877 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    7. Dec 9, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to bofh4321)

Assuming that the newly-installed agent is communicating with the server correctly, all you need to do now is to check in the MA 4.5 package and then schedule a deployment task to install it. See "Using the Product Deployment task to deploy products to managed systems" in the ePO 4.5 Product Guide for more info.

Regards -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• jstanley McAfee SME 366 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    8. Dec 9, 2009 10:23 AM (in response to bofh4321)

If you want to test the 4.5 agent out on a few machines prior to pushing it out to your clients then check it into the evaluation branch and manually install it on a few. Here are some steps:

First make sure you can check packages into a branch other than current:

1- Logon to EPO

2- Navigate to Server Settings

3- Select Repository Packages and click edit

4- Select Yes in the radial selection here (Allow package check-in for any repository branch)

5- Click Save

Then check MA 4.5 into the evaluation branch:

1- Logon to EPO

2- Check the MA 4.5 extension in (it is backward compatible with MA 4.0)

3- Check the MA 4.5 install package into the evaluation branch of the repository (option will be available during the checkin wizard)

Then grab a copy of the framepkg.exe from the evaluation branch for manual install. The install package should be here:

<EPO install directory\DB\Software\Evaluation\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409\framepkg.exe

I hope that helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points