The ePO MIgration extension does not appear to be required by anything else so chances of it causing problems are likely slim to none.
However, that being said, I would be sure to do a DB backup before doing this and stop the ePO server service so that clients are unable to connect to it. Once convinced all is good, restart the server service.
Did you find a solution to your problem because I've exactly the same one and Mcafee support cannot help at the moment. I've even tried to restore database as they told me but it didn't solve the problem.
Thanks for your aswer.
Sorry for not replying to this thread earlier.
I applied the procedure highlighted in the initial post and it solved my problems.
And I don't understand why McAfee support is not giving proper advise how to solve problems.
I found the advise they gave ridiculous. The Engineers at McAfee design the software in such a modular way
that it is possible to uninstall and re-install almost all components, but support has nothing better to propose than
restoring the database rather than using the designed mechanisms to solve such an issue.
Hope this helps you,
Thanks for your answer.
I've already tried to remove rsd and epomigration extensions. It worked but when I tried to reinstall them it was not possible I got an error message. I took the zip modules in the installer folder so I don't understand why I couldn't reinstall those modules.
I will try to do it once again with also notification extension and see what happens because the last E-mail I received from the support is to do the recovery procedure of ePo console which is quite hard.
I'm not a product expert but I've moved this thread to our ePO area. Hopefully someone can help you soon.