1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 12:08 AM by anilk0512

Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Okay I am at my wits end.  I have had a very annoying virus on my computer for over a week, I have tried everything.  It will not die.  I have a Macfee Security suite, and today I ran across the Stinger virus remover.  I ran it in the high sensitivity mode and it found 4 trojan viruses, once the scan was done I restarted the computer, and now it will not boot to the desktop.  The computer comes on, shows my background minus icons,then suddenly flashes a welcome screen with an "owner" icon ( didn't do this before).  When I click the owner icon it looks like it is moving to desktop, then suddenly flashes back to welcome screen and logs off.  I can't boot in safe mode, it doesn't seem to be there.  Is there anything I can do to get my computer back?  I am so desperate.  I homeschool on this PC and we have been down for over a week.

Oh and prior to this scan the computer flashed a message that said I had the worm.win32.netsky virus.  Spybot, Malware Bytes, Mcafee Security, none of those would get rid of it..............

• 1. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

hi,

Pls reboot system and go to OS option (F8) selection mode and select "last good configuration".. it can apply for all microsoft OS.

And Download latest Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and Scan Your Computer its remove the malware.

Message was edited by: anilk0512 on 12/3/09 9:34 PM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Okay I did that , F8 duruing boot up, choose last known good configuration, same results, looks like it is going to the desktop then flashes back to welcome screen.  If I click owner icon it goes back to desktop, then immediately back to welcome and says logging off.  Never fully pulls up the desktop.

• 3. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Pls let me know which OS u using???

I think u using Windows XP SP2 or SP3 is it; For solve this issue You required a WIndows CD and Try This...

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
              (If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry and change it accordingly.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma  - exclude the quotes.  Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

Message was edited by: anilk0512 on 12/3/09 10:25 PM
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

I run Windows XP on that machine

• 5. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Okay I am feeling really good about this, but here is an issue.  I have Windows XP SP1 , when I boot from the disk and go to the recovery console it ask me what installation number I want to use, it doesn't give me an option for entering the CD System32.

I really appreciate all of this!

• 6. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Can anyone tell me what installation number I should enter to proceed with the other directions provided?

• 7. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

The installation number refers to the Windows install you want to work on. Most people only have one. There should be a list, maybe only one listed, that says Windows XP, something like that. If you see more than one you will just have to choose. Once you have chosen the install you will be able to follow the other directions posted. Hope that helps.

David Davis

"Free advice is worth what you paid for it"

• 8. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Okay I have followed instructions, #1 as I only have  on option.  cd system32, then copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe, then typed exit.  System rebooted and the same results as before.  I get my background image for several minutes, then flashes to welcome screen with user icon , when I click on owner it moves back to my background image for a second, then back to welcome screen and states logging off under owner icon.

Any other options for me?  I am sooooo frustrated.

• 9. Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Thank you so much for your help, but I am having the same issue after following your last instructions.  I booted from the disc, went into recovery mode, and followed the directions for  copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe, I got a message 1 file copied, so I keyed exit and rebooted the computer.  Same results, goes to the desktop then flashes right back to the welcome screen, never will access desktop.

Is there something else I can try or do ?

Thanks so much.

1 2 Previous Next