Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
8553 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2009 3:04 PM by nchattop RSS
Newcomer 4 posts since
Dec 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2009 4:31 PM

error loading C:/Windows/system32/sshnas.dll

Hi,

Every time i start my computer i get this error pop up, perhaps because of some virus in the system. Can anyone please advise how to get rid of this.

The pop up goes as "

"error loading C:/Windows/system32/sshnas.dll"

Please help.

• Newcomer 10 posts since
    Dec 4, 2009

You can search for the file name, (sshnas.dll), using your favorite interent search tool and several good answers are given. Here is one from the list ...

Link removed. That forum is not a comptent security forum and as such please do not post links to that forum.

Be advised, McAfee software should detect this if it is up to date.

David Davis

"Free advice is worth what you paid for it"

Message was edited by: paullotion on 12/4/09 2:33 PM

Message was edited by: paullotion on 12/4/09 2:34 PM

Message was edited by: paullotion on 12/4/09 2:35 PM
  • McAfee SME 212 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009

You may wish to submit malware samples to:                                     

https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp                                                 

It may be the best option if you are having a problem with gateway scanners stripping 

your sample submission.                                                               

If you believe your computer is infected, but are unsure which files should be        

submitted to McAfee Labs for review, please visit:                                    

http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx                                  

For other virus-related information, please review McAfee Labs' homepage at:          

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/default.asp   

Thanks

Neha

• vinod_r2 McAfee Mentor 3,126 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008

Just for verifying the same could please run a tool on the machine post back the logs..?

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS TOOL IS TO RUN ONLY AS INDICATED IN DIAGNOSTICS MODE . DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR REPAIR BASED ON THE RESULTS OBTAINED BY THE TOOL.

Please follow the instruction give below. we need you to run the Tool in High Sensitivity level with REPORT ONLY mode. ( Note: If the scan is initiated in high mode and set to repair. It might cause ire-repairable damages to the machine hence always run it in REPORT ONLY MODE)

McAfee Labs Stinger

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

1. Download      v10.0.1.688 [5,207,047 bytes] (11/23/2009)
    2. When prompted, choose to save the file to a convenient location on your      hard disk (such as your Desktop folder). 

3. When the download is complete, navigate to the folder that contains the      downloaded Stinger file, and run it. WindowsME/XP/Vista users read      this first

4. The Stinger interface will be displayed. 

5. If necessary, click the Add or Browse     button to add additional drives/directories to scan. By default the C: drive      will be scanned.
    6. By default, Stinger will repair all infected files found THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED
    7. Enable Artemis Technology in stinger click on preferences and then select      the required sensitivity level.  If you select "High" or "Very High" McAfee Labs      recommends that you set the "On virus detection" action to "Report only" for the first scan. 

8. Click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the specified      drives/directories.
    9. Once the scan is done Click the File menu and select Save report to file.
    10. Save the file as Stinger_Report and attach it to the next reply.

on 7/12/09 12:12:07 AM IST

Regards
    VR
  • Newcomer 10 posts since
    Dec 4, 2009

Thanks David,

You were right, the McAfee AV was able to detect and resolve the issue and i don't see any more error pop ups, though the sshnas.dll file is still there in the windows/system 32 folder. Do you suggest i simply delete it? I also remember of opening the file with notepad and hence cannot see the format as 'dll' anymore for any dll file types. Could you also suggest how can i restore it.

Regards

Sandeep

Microsoft does not list it as one of their DLLs. I suspect it is OK to remove it. A worst case scenario would be that some odd program would cease to function correctly and you would have to repair ir. But! MS says it is a piece of the Trojan so you could delete it.

Are you saying the .DLL extension has been changed to a .TXT extension? How odd.They must be working or your system would not run.

Open any folder and go to the tools menu.At the bottom of that menu is Folder Options, click on Folder Options

One of the tabs will be File Types, click on File Types

Scroll down the list of file types and see if you find DLL in the list. If you do find it in the list highlight it and choose the Advanced button. If it shows Notepad as the program used to open that file then delete that option.

In truth the system files are not usually listed in the File Types. And even if they have an odd look to them the system knows what to do with them or the system would not run. Unless you are experiencing issues I would just leave it alone. I suspect you have not changed anything, just created a default program link.

David Davis

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it"

• McAfee SME 212 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009

Hi Sandeep,

Ssteps provided by David, should work all you need to do is change the file type to the dll from folder option

In future you can submit virus samples to <http://www.webimmune.net>. In most cases it can respond almost instantly with a solution.

Regards

Neha

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points