6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 9:25 AM by Mohan

COMPUTER NOT PROTECTED

The Security Center indicates that my computer is not protected. When I click "Fix", there is a message stating "Some components are missing, please reinstall ViruScan". I had to restore my computer to an earlier date last night owing to a non-virus issue, and I know that my DAT files need to be updated, but the McAfee download icon only goes to 23% complete and then seems to start over. Where can I find the necessary updates, or should I reinstall using my original CD. If the latter is the only solution, will I have any problems as the program is already on 3 computers including this one? Thank you

• 1. Re: COMPUTER NOT PROTECTED

I am having the same problem. However, in my case it tells me that the ZoneAlarm antivirus signature is more than 30 days old. I was just updated this morning, so how can it be more than 30 days old? I am starting to think the McAfee security center isn't worth having.

• 2. Re: COMPUTER NOT PROTECTED

Are you using Zone Alarm or McAfee, if you still have Zone Alarm remove them from the computer and then try to update McAfee. Moreover, most of the missing components of virus signature files out of date issues can be fixed by McAfee Virtual Technician - so try that out

http://mvt.mcafee.com

Run it follow the on screen instructions and reboot the computer - Everything should be fine....

• 3. Re: COMPUTER NOT PROTECTED
              exbrit

azism wrote:

I am having the same problem. However, in my case it tells me that the ZoneAlarm antivirus signature is more than 30 days old. I was just updated this morning, so how can it be more than 30 days old? I am starting to think the McAfee security center isn't worth having.

Having 2 anti-virus applications installed is very dangerous as they compete with each other and could feasibly leave your machine open to attack.

• 4. Re: COMPUTER NOT PROTECTED

I am NOT using the ZoneAlarm AV. I don't trust them that far. I use ZoneAlarm for surfing reasons. The Zonealarm AV is turned off and will remain turned off. I updated to the ZoneAlarm Extreme due to the protections offered while surfing the internet.

• 5. Re: COMPUTER NOT PROTECTED
                  exbrit

OK but if it were me I'd keep extra anti-spyware tools rather than an extra anti-viirus, just in case.

Try the MVT as suggested above - see if that fixes the 30 days old issue, also check your system clock for accuracy both time and timezone-wise.

• 6. Re: COMPUTER NOT PROTECTED

Hi,

After trying the steps suggest by EX_Brit ,Also try to reset you IE and clear out the windows temp and cookies and try to update your products.If it doesn't work then try running MVT.

Regards,

Mohan.B