5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 3:48 PM by sthayden

Windows XP Pro 64bit OS problems with VSE 8.7

we have 10 Windows XP 64 bit systems and all have the problem when upgraded VirusScan 8.7 with accessing the windows registry. get access denied

users have problems writing to HKCU section, MS Office has issues because of this. I uninstall VirusScan and problems go away.

admins and users also get this error loging in to windows.

Type: Error
      Source: Userenv
      Event ID: 1096
      Event Time: 12/3/2009 6:13:51 AM
      User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      Computer: WS019
      Description:
      Windows cannot access the registry policy file, C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\ntuser.pol. (The operation completed successfully. ).

need help, we had a case open with macafee but didn't get it resolved.

• 1. Re: Windows XP Pro 64bit OS problems with VSE 8.7

Hi fermin,

I've moved this to our VSE area. Hopefully someone can help you soon.

Message was edited by: April Jacobs on 12/3/09 9:29 AM
          • 2. Re: Windows XP Pro 64bit OS problems with VSE 8.7

Fermin,

Since you didn't mention it in your post, are you running the latest Service Pack 2 on all machines?

Tried excluding ntuser.pol from scanning and changing the settings in "Access Protection"?

In addition, if those machines are acting as servers or on a domain, there is a Microsoft article about such situations:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930597/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Message was edited by: Grif on 12/3/09 9:48 AM
            • 3. Re: Windows XP Pro 64bit OS problems with VSE 8.7

close but not it. no hotfix for xp 64 bit. and the errors are not accessing the pol files from the domain controllers its the local user pol file on the c: drive, also not limited to the users pol. file also experiances issues with installing and unistalling applications like MS office 2003 SP3

users experiance many time though out the day.

Type: Error
              Source: Application Hang
              Event ID: 1002
              Event Time: 12/1/2009 1:20:28 PM
              User: n/a
              Computer: WS019
              Description:
              Hanging application OUTLOOK.EXE, version 11.0.8206.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

OS is Windows v5.2; Service Pack 2

• 4. Re: Windows XP Pro 64bit OS problems with VSE 8.7

Still no mention of whether you're using SP2/Patch #2 on VirusScan 8.7i?? (Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.) And still no mention of tinkering with the "Access Protections" settings.. Most such issues are with the protections used by the "Access Protections" panel.. First, simply disable "Access Protection" and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, then you can find a specific setting that's causing the issue. Frequently, it's a problem with a specific "Common Standard Protection" item. For example, the knowledgebase article below refers to one such issu on 64 bit systems. It's not the same issue as yours but the same principal applies.:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53876

As to the Outlook hang, have you tried disabling the "Exchange Scan" option in the Outlook "Add-In Manager"?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Message was edited by: Grif on 12/3/09 1:04 PM
                • 5. Re: Windows XP Pro 64bit OS problems with VSE 8.7
                  sthayden

Just an FYI, Microsoft has a list of files and folders you night want to think about excluding from VSE, the .pol files being part of their list. I had some issues in the past and after adding these exclusions, I have not had a reoccurence of those problems. Here is the KB article if you would like to take a look and give them a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158