1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 2:24 PM by Peter M

Error 214 746 7259

I am getting the above error message.

I am looking for a quick solution. Can anybody help?

See attach.

• 1. Re: Error 214 746 7259
          Peter M

Searching back on that error doesn't produce any definite solution other than a cleanup and reinstallation.

Enable Windows Firewall temporarily.

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: Howto remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer ProductsRemoval tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  LaunchWindows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" butespecially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\ApplicationData" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data".You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools> Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if theyare empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more thanone!

In Vista:C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

• 2. Re: Error 214 746 7259

Thank you Ex_Brit------------for a speedy reply.

I will carry out your suggestion.

Before I start uninstalling I have 2 concerns:-

1.     PCTools Registry Mechanic.    I installed this Software 27-11-09 and my problem started after this and because I have seen

in McAfee Postings that this type of S/W has a habit of causing problems, I did write to PCTools ----see attachment for their

reply----it may be helpful.

My concern is, if there is a conflict, will your suggested solution solve my problem or will we have to consider uninstalling/re-installing

PCTool S/W.

2.     Norton Security.     My McAfee Security replaced Norton Security. I would like to make sure that I have deleted All Norton S/W in case any   

remaining Norton S/W interferes with my McAfee S/W. Are you able to suggest S/W which will delete any remaining Norton S/W?

Your comments would be appreciated.     DESKMCA

• 3. Re: Error 214 746 7259

I am attaching a better copy of the e-mail from PCTools.

• 4. Re: Error 214 746 7259
                Peter M

DESKMCA wrote:

Thank you Ex_Brit------------for a speedy reply.

I will carry out your suggestion.

Before I start uninstalling I have 2 concerns:-

1.     PCTools Registry Mechanic.    I installed this Software 27-11-09 and my problem started after this and because I have seen

in McAfee Postings that this type of S/W has a habit of causing problems, I did write to PCTools ----see attachment for their

reply----it may be helpful.

My concern is, if there is a conflict, will your suggested solution solve my problem or will we have to consider uninstalling/re-installing

PCTool S/W.

2.     Norton Security.     My McAfee Security replaced Norton Security. I would like to make sure that I have deleted All Norton S/W in case any   

remaining Norton S/W interferes with my McAfee S/W. Are you able to suggest S/W which will delete any remaining Norton S/W?

Your comments would be appreciated.     DESKMCA

My next question would have been - "Are you using registry cleaners?"  Registry Mechanic.....don't waste your money.  Registry cleaners/optimizers do more harm than good, believe me.  If you have a restore option on that try it, it may correct this issue.

Spyware Doctor is OK but has had issues at times with McAfee.  We recommend a few free ones here: http://community.mcafee.com/message/6617#6617

Norton has a removal tool here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

• 5. Re: Error 214 746 7259

Oh Dear!!     I like your idea of trying to Restore--------------thanks for your efforts.

Bye for now.

• 6. Re: Error 214 746 7259
                    Peter M

Well good luck.  I'll be going offline shortly so there is always Technical Support Chat which is free and available through McAfee Support link at top of this page.

• 7. Re: Error 214 746 7259

To Ex_Brit

Oh dear!!!       More problems-------------------I can't download/re-instal    McAfee.     See 3 attachments.

All your instructions were brilliant-----------ALL McAfee was removed. Furthermore, I removed PCTools Registry Mechanic.

Note.-------My PC has 256mb etc ( see my signature ) and was running on My PC happily before the problem.

I hope that you find this message and have time to reply.  We thought that this Post was resolved !

DESKMCA

• 8. Re: Error 214 746 7259

PS----as per your previous suggestion---------------SYSTEM RESTORE  does,t work either. I will do a new Post sometime.

• 9. Re: Error 214 746 7259
                          Peter M

You have no signature, but at the moment signatures are broken on this board anyway, so don't worry about that.   You may have 256mb installed but that is the absolute bare minimum required and if you have anything else using memory it will always state that you need more and fail.

These days with applications becoming more and more demanding I would say at least 1gb of memory is a must and preferably 2.  But in a 32-bit environment 4gb is the max that Windows can use.

Is there anyway you can increase your RAM?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/12/09 9:40:50 EST AM
                          1 2 Previous Next