1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 4:12 PM by vorblesnak

My computer runs slowly, plus web searches are consistently redirected to bogus sites.

My XP Pro runs slowly, and web searches are redirected to bogus sites 80% of the time, frequently to a 'Security Alert' site that claims I have a bunch of spyware/viruses that can be fixed by purchasing their software.  However, a McAfee full scan reveals '0' problems found-nothing to fix.  I have disabled all but the basic Active-X add-ons to no avail.  How can I fix this problem?

• 1. Re: My computer runs slowly, plus web searches are consistently redirected to bogus sites.

I believe you have one of the variants of a Trojan that mimics an antivirus program. It's purpose is to get you to download further malware so that it can fully infect your machine.

I have removed these by downloading the newest version of MalWare Bytes and McAfee Stinger. I then reboot into safe mode and log in as the administrator. Usually the Trojan does not load in safe mode although I heard of one last week that did, keep that in mind.  Once you are logged in as Admin in safe mode install and run MalWare Bytes and then Stinger. Order is not as important as running both of them. You should then install a good antivirus and set it to run a full system check at boot up. Then reboot and let the AV program run.

David Davis

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it"