8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 1:33 PM by naruto55647

Antivirus Pro

My daughters ACER laptop has acquired the Antivirus System Pro malware....I purchased McAfee back in September, and this did not block the AV Pro malware from getting on her computer.  AV Pro is now blocking me from getting to the Internet.  I was able to run one scan with McAfee which identified zero problems.  I have also downloaded Spyware Doctor to a CD (using another computer) and tried to launch/install this on my daughters laptop to no avail.  I get error message saying the .exe file on the CD has been infected.  I tried this with three other free antivirus downloads from the web, same thing happens...AV Pro infects the .exe file as soon as I try to launch and install it.

Since McAfee doesn't fix this, any other suggestions?  Anyone else having this same problem?  I see that McAfee charges $89.95 for Virus Removal Service.....will you waive that fee since I already purchased the Antivirus software back in September (one year subscription)?

any help on this is greatly appreciated....thanks

• 1. Re: Antivirus Pro

I am also having the same issue. I installed the program stinger like the other posts have suggested but nothing seems to have been repaired and I cant seem to locate the file on my c: drive in order to delete it.

I have attached my stinger results. Any advice would help me too.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Antivirus Pro
            Vinod R

I need you to run the Stinger tool in full Artemis mode with report only setting.If you have not done that already.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS TOOL IS TO RUN ONLY AS INDICATED IN DIAGNOSTICS MODE . DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR REPAIR BASED ON THE RESULTS OBTAINED BY THE TOOL.

Please follow the instruction give below. we need you to run the Tool in High Sensitivity level with REPORT ONLY mode. ( Note: If the scan is initiated in high mode and set to repair. It might cause ire-repairable damages to the machine hence always run it in REPORT ONLY MODE)

McAfee Labs Stinger

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

1. Download      v10.0.1.688 [5,207,047 bytes] (11/23/2009)
            2. When prompted, choose to save the file to a convenient location on your      hard disk (such as your Desktop folder).

3. When the download is complete, navigate to the folder that contains the      downloaded Stinger file, and run it. WindowsME/XP/Vista users read      this first.

4. The Stinger interface will be displayed.

5. If necessary, click the Add or Browse     button to add additional drives/directories to scan. By default the C: drive      will be scanned.
            6. By default, Stinger will repair all infected files found THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED
            7. Enable Artemis Technology in stinger click on preferences and then select      the required sensitivity level.  If you select "High" or "Very High" McAfee Labs      recommends that you set the "On virus detection" action to "Report only" for the first scan.

8. Click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the specified      drives/directories.
            9. Once the scan is done Click the File menu and select Save report to file.
            10. Save the file as Stinger_Report and attach it to the next reply.
            • 3. Re: Antivirus Pro

Interstingly, the day after I posted this problem, somehow the laptop is apparently working fine.  Cannot explain how this "just happened to fix itself"?.....So, now being able to get to the internet, I was able to download and run the Stinger application per your instructions.  Here is the report...it clearly detected a number of "trojans"...pls advise re. next steps.  Also am curious how the laptop can suddenly work?....all the pop ups and errors that I described in my initial note have disappeared?  Looks like it has just hidden itself?

thank you.

• 4. Re: Antivirus Pro

On Dec 9 I forwarded the Stinger report as instructed by Vinod R at McAfee, but I have not seen a response.  What are the instructions based on the findings in the report?  There is clearly still a problem on the computer that needs to be fixed - please advise.  Would like to have my daughter;s computer fixed before Christmas if that is possible.

thank you.

• 5. Re: Antivirus Pro
                  Vinod R

Hello there,

Apologize for the delay in response.. I was not in good health for quite sometime and had lots of pending work to take care of..

I inspected the log file that you posted on the earlier post and that did not indicate any items . I tend to agree to Ex_Brit's advice on checking @ bleeping computer website. Websites such as those have free ready made quick fix solutions and many kind hearted volunteers :-)..

• 6. Re: Antivirus Pro

Did this "antivirus  Pro"  have a  blue  kite shield with a white stripe  symbol?  because  I just encountered a problem with such a antivirus, save that it  tryed to lockup  everything by telling me  everything I clicked on waqs infected and if i wanted to run my antivirus,it even tryed to tell me that  MY antivirus, McAfee was infected.I was able mto fix the problem by system restoreing.If it wasnt "Antivirus Pro" then  i shall  start a topic to find out  what it was.

• 7. Re: Antivirus Pro
                      BMann

Naruto,

There are thousands of Fake Antivirus applications out there with a lot of them sharing symbols and imaging so based off that information we won't be able to say exactly "what" version it was that hit you.  The only way truly to do that is to get copies of the malicious files or at the very least some file information from them.  With you having done a system restore we aren't going to be able to get that data so won't be able to narrow down what it was.

Thanks

Brian

• 8. Re: Antivirus Pro

I chose systems restore  Brain  because i`m not that good  with computers,despite people telling me otherwise.

You are correct in sayying that we`ll  never  know what verison it was from,but  sadly if  I hadnt restored.I would have never

been able to join up.Since the bloody thing  redirected all my  internet explorer pages to the website where it  wished for me

to pay to buy the supposed anti-virus. I chose  to buy  McAfee  anti-viris  simplely because I had it as a free 30-day on my first laptop

and found it to be  very good software.That and the fact that the verison I had at the time let me set an internet password was pretty helpful.

Signed

Naruto