2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 8:09 AM by Roy_E

Tying in New MVM3000s with existing FS scanning infrastructures

I am awaiting shipment of 6 new MVM3000 scanning appliances, which I will tie into an exisiting scanning infrastructure of our own servers that we have installed Foundstone 6.7 on.  I will be pulling down the standard installation "Get Started" Documentation - but was wondering if anyone here has experienced any difficulties, or can provide any insights into potential pitfalls.

Our goal over the coming years is to phase out our existing servers and move all of the scanning infrastructure to appliances, so if anyone has tips or suggestions for that, it would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Tying in New MVM3000s with existing FS scanning infrastructures
          jhaynes

Hi Roy,

You mentioned a phased replacement of your existing scanners. Generally there are two different approaches to doing that.

- MVM 3000 is brought online in parallel with the existing scan engines and in time the old scan engines will be removed.

If this is the case then its a pretty straight forward setup and the documentation covers this quite well.

- MVM 3000 will be brought online to replace the existing scan engines immediately.

If this is the case there are a few things that you will need help with. Each scan configuration is tied to a specific unique EngineID. All of your existing scan configurations will be associated with the old EngineID. This is a pretty simple fix but it does require a support case because it involves making a registry change.

Jeff Haynes

• 2. Re: Tying in New MVM3000s with existing FS scanning infrastructures

Thats good, we will be doing option 1, and at somepoint will replace all of the existing infrastructure with the new appliances.  Thanks for the info.