2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 10:31 AM by Attila Polinger

Problems getting McAfee to Update on Server 2008

Good afternoon,

We are a long time McAfee user and have been running the program successfully on our network.  Recently we upgraded one of our servers to Server 2008 Standard Edition.  We were able to install McAfee on the system and it successfully auto-updated the first time.  Since then, however, it has been unable to auto-update.  We have contacted McAfee support four times and they have logged in remotely and uninstalled/reinstalled/made registry changes/changed security on I.E., etc.  The program updates successfully the first time then fails.

We have had this issue for close to two months now with no resolution.

I was wondering if any other corporate users have had this problem and if so what they did to correct it.

We like the software but if it will not function in a Server 2008 environment then we will have to change.

Thank you,

Bryan

• 1. Re: Problems getting McAfee to Update on Server 2008

Maybe re-post in the VSE section, assuming you are running VirusScan Enterprise?

We have VSE 8.7 Patch 2 on 100+ Windows Server 2008 boxes and they are all updating just fine so I don't believe it's a generic problem with VSE as such.

Thanks,
          Matt

• 2. Re: Problems getting McAfee to Update on Server 2008
            Attila Polinger

Hi,

Would you set the LogLevel to 8 (see KB56207), then would you schedule a targeted update time and when it fails, immeadiately check McScript.log in C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\DB ?

Search the update start time and scroll down to see what happens that causes the failure.

If it does not say much useful, then you can further dig deeper by using agent debug level 2 logging (see KB58966). Beware this produces a lot of entries, advisable to set a much higher logsize before.

Hope this helps.

Attila