8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 7:00 PM by jdalex1

Cannot scan any virus programs

Hello,

I'm having a problem scanning any of my virus programs. I got some kind of a virus? that installed something called "Security Central." It put an icon on my taskbar next to the Mcafee and gives me warning every few minutes that my computer is infected. When I try to scan Mcafee I get the following message.. "file mcshell.exe is infected with the W32/Blaster.worm. Please activate Security Central to protect your computer." I then tried to scan with Malwarebytes but get the message... "file mbam.exe is infected with the W32/Blaster.worm. please activate ..." I get a similar message when I try to scan Super Anti Spyware. I tried initially to use sytem restore but nothing happens when I click on it. I tried to scan using the free scan on Mcafee.com but got a similar message. Anything I try to run off Mcafee.com (Stinger,etc) will download but not run. I tried to restart computer in safe mode but get a blue screen with a system error and the computer needs to shut down. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Windows XP: service pack 3

Mcafee 9.0? (I can't get into it to find my version. I just renewed subscription end of Sept '09)