1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 9:24 PM by flamingo

"Not Protected"

I have been getting these "not protected" messages for months now - I assumed it would be fixed by now

a) can someone explain what these are ?

b) when will McAfee fix this ???

Thanks

PS - this will be a reason not to reup when subscription expires

• 1. Re: "Not Protected"
          dougr_t3_support

What reason does it say inside the Security Center?

For example, "Your signature files are 7 days old" or "Privacy Service is missing components"

You can open Security Center by double clicking the M Icon in your system tray near the clock.

Thanks,

• 2. Re: "Not Protected"

hmmmm, I don't remember it actually having a reason, I just hit the Fix It again, and it goes away for awhile. Do I have to drill down, or is it right there ????

I do notice it often does it a few minutes after any update

The updates seem to be nightly now, is that expected ????

Message was edited by: saty on 12/1/09 2:35 PM
            • 3. Re: "Not Protected"
              dougr_t3_support

We update the Virus Definitions daily. Depending on the time they are releases it could be day or night.

The Security Center will look something like this when you get the "not protected" message.

msc_amip.JPG

Thanks,

• 4. Re: "Not Protected"

Hi Saty,

Not protected messages comes only if some process in the McAfee Security Center is not working properly. Some of these issues can be resolved, by simply clicking on the Fix button, but some won't.

So next time when you are getting that message, please check for any mesaages on the right pane of the McAfee Security Center before clicking on fix.

If in case you need more assistance for the issue, you can contact our Free Technical Support Chat by clicking on the below link ( 24/7 Service ).

http://service.mcafee.com/ServiceSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT

Thanks,

• 5. Re: "Not Protected"

OK, I will look next time

Once fixed, what breaks it again ????

It pretty much updates within 5 minues of Power up everynight, so it can't be out of date

So, some "component" goes missing ????

• 6. Re: "Not Protected"
                    dougr_t3_support

McAfee SecurityCenter monitors the health of the security applications installed. There are many different messages. I pasted in part of the help file below which has a table of some example messages and their resolutions.

Fixing protection problems

Most security problems can be fixed automatically; however, some problems may require you to take action. For example, if Firewall Protection is disabled, SecurityCenter can enable it automatically; however, if Firewall Protection is not installed, you must install it. The following table describes some other actions that you might take when fixing protection problems manually:

Problem

Action

A full scan of your computer has not been performed in the last 30 days.

Scan your computer manually. For more information, see the VirusScan help.

Your detection signature files (DATs) are out-of-date.

Update your protection manually. For more information, see the VirusScan help.

A program is not installed.

Install the program from the McAfee Web site or CD.

A program is missing components.

Reinstall the program from the McAfee Web site or CD.

A program is not activated, and cannot receive full protection.

Activate the program on the McAfee Web site.

Your subscription has expired.

Check your account status on the McAfee Web site. For more information, see Managing your subscriptions in the help file.

Message was edited by: dougr_t3_support on 12/1/09 3:47 PM

Message was edited by: dougr_t3_support on 12/1/09 3:49 PM
                    • 7. Re: "Not Protected"

Well, yes, those all seem like nice reasons, but it can't be anything like those.

Typically it does any update when I get home, and then 2 or 3 times during a night it will throw a "Not Protected"

It has never been unable to "Fix"

I don't turn anything off, or change anything, it just goes unprotected

I mean it seems like there are a zillion people here having this issue

This happens all the time

• 8. Re: "Not Protected"

I mean it isn't like I actually take some "action" - manual scan, reload the new DAT, reinstall some componet.

I hit the Fix It button - the program can't do that by itself ????

Not that it should have to

• 9. Re: "Not Protected"
                          dougr_t3_support

Once you get me the message I will know how to proceed.

Thanks,

1 2 Previous Next