1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 5:52 AM by SamSwift

Internet Search Redirect Virus

After dealing with that stupid fake antivirus software virus (which Mcafee didn't help with),  my desktop computer once again is having issues.  My internet searches are being redirected and I occassionally expierence pop ups.

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition, Service Pack 2.

I have tried scans with Mcafee, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware,BitDefender, McAfee's Stinger, etc.   Nothing does the trick.

So I am laying my burdens on the experts and non experts that patrol the Mcafee forums.  Please, for the love of God and chocolate chip cookies, help me and countless others battle this crap and find a way to get rid of whatever is infecting our computers.  Because I absolutely refuse to pay Mcafee money to remove viruses that the software either should have kept out, or that it should remove on its own.

• 1. Re: Internet Search Redirect Virus
          SamSwift

You might want to check the host file to see if it's been modified via the typical location of C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ then file 'hosts'.  Typically malware will try to block users from accessing certain sites by changing this host file to block access.

Edit the "hosts" file with the Notepad application to see if there are any additional entries beyond the standard template like below:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
          #
          # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
          #
          # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
          # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
          # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
          # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
          # space.
          #
          # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
          # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
          #
          # For example:
          #
          #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
          #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

Hope this helps.

Sam