7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 3:40 AM by adheyes

Can add a system(s) on EPO but could'nt install the 4.5 Agent

Hello,

Just setup our new EPO server.  The server seemed to be running fine (we hope),  but for some reason when we add a system and push the Agent at the same time, the system is found in the domain and added to the system tree or system list and try to push the agent but the agent push fails.  We try this to numerous machines but with the same result.

The other thing that we notice is that we cannot ping to these machines within EPO but can ping from the server OS fine, hostname or IP pings.

Is there anything we can try?

Thanks!!

• 2. Re: Can add a system(s) on EPO but could'nt install the 4.5 Agent

Hi,

Assuming you are running Windows, can you check the Application Event Log in Event Viewer on the client devices?  I am seeing similar issues but only with some systems.  ePO adds the system to my organisation group, but reports it as "Unmanaged".  Looking at C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Logs\server.log on the ePO server, the FrameInst.exe binary gets pushed successfully to the client and I can see it in \\CLIENT\Admin$ but when it attempts to run the install, the error "Product: McAfee Agent -- McAfee Agent can not be installed on this version of Windows.  Please see the product documentation." is thrown.  I also get the same error if I try to run the install manually on the client.

My versions are:

ePO 4.5 on Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 x86

Agent 4.5.0 (1270)

VSE 8.7.0 (570)

Agent installs are failing on clients running Server 2003 Enterprise R2 SP1 x64 and Server 2003 Enterprise x86.

Thanks,
          Alex Heyes

• 3. Re: Can add a system(s) on EPO but could'nt install the 4.5 Agent

Im not seeing any activities in my server.log although I am able to the process of adding a system/pushing agent and can login fine to EPO's web interface. Btw, the agent isn't really getting pushed.  Looking at the server.log as of right now 11/30/09, this is what I am seeing at the end of the log.

DecryptUsingAgentHandlerKey - Invalid Parameters
            20091129145659    E    #3720    NAIMSRV     Failed to process server key information
            20091129145659    I    #3720    NAIMSRV     Shutting down server...
            20091129145700    I    #3720    NAIMSRV     Releasing DAL Connection Pool...
            20091129145700    I    #3720    NAIMSRV     Releasing File Locks...
            20091129145700    I    #3720    NAIMSRV     Releasing Agent Cache...
            20091129145700    I    #3720    NAIMSRV     Releasing Task Cache...
            20091129145700    I    #3720    NAIMSRV     Cleaning up temp directory...
            20091129145700    I    #3720    NAIMSRV     ePolicy Orchestrator server stopped.

There is obviously wrong, but do not know which direction i need to pursue to get it fix.  Please advise.

I also attached the server.log file.

• 4. Re: Can add a system(s) on EPO but could'nt install the 4.5 Agent

see next post.

Message was edited by: bozadmin on 12/29/09 5:13:22 AM CST
              • 5. Re: Can add a system(s) on EPO but could'nt install the 4.5 Agent

Hi rnicolas,

I solved the issue. As I guessed it had something to do with the credentials you use to push the agent.

You must use a user account that has local admin rights on the system you are trying to push the agent to.

That solved it in our situation.

good luck.

Frank

• 6. Re: Can add a system(s) on EPO but could'nt install the 4.5 Agent

For us, upgrading to SP2 solved the issue in all cases.  We had no problem using domain credentials for the Agent rollout.

• 7. Re: Can add a system(s) on EPO but could'nt install the 4.5 Agent

Please upload the epoapsvr.log as well for more details.

Also, you can try deploying using a domain admin account if the computers are joined in the Active directory. If not, then it's a pain in the backside because you need to use an acount w/ local admin rights (as stated by the previous users). Also, try this:

From your epo server; ping the computer(s) that you want to deploy using the computer name and not the IP address.

If it does not reply (this means you have no DNS/DHCP/Active Directory/etc) then put the COMPUTER NAME and IP ADDRESS of the computer(s) to the ePO server's host file.

Then ping again using the computer name, if it does reply then try deploying an agent again using a local admin account or domain admin account.