McAfee Spamkiller has been replaced with McAfee Anti-Spam. McAfee has decided to integrate anti-spam functionality into it's point products such as GroupShield and SecurityShield for ISA. As a consequence of this the standalone product McAfee Spamkiller for mail servers no longer exists.
That was sort of what I figured. The reason to why I am confused is that:
- SpamKiller is included in the current edition of McAfee Total Protection for Endpoint suite, in which Anti-Spam also is included.
- SpamKiller can apparently be used as an add-on to Group Shield for Exchange just as Anti-Spam.
- Anti-Spam has existed for years and we have been using it on our Exchange server for the last five years.
- For some reason I haven’t noticed SpamKiller before now.
- The latest version of SpamKiller is 2.1.2 (Exchange 2003). The latest version of Anti-Spam is 7.0.1. This indicated to me that Anti-Spam had been around longer than SpamKiller. But the version number of Anti-Spam probably just follows the version number of Group Shield.
Just to be clear, McAfee included the Anti-Spam Activation for GroupShield 7.0 for Lotus Domino, which only works with McAfee GroupShield 7.0 for Lotus Domino. McAfee has also included the Anti-Spam Activation for GroupShield 7.0 for Microsoft Exchange, which only works with McAfee GroupShield 7.0 for Microsoft Exchange.
A license for GroupShield is required to use the Anti-Spam Activation. If you have not already purchased a license for GroupShield or another product which includes a license to GroupShield, please contact your local McAfee partner or representative.
Note: If you are using any versions of GroupShield for Lotus Domino or for Microsoft Exchange earlier than 7.0, you will need to use the associated version of SpamKiller instead.
Hope this clears up the confusion.
Don’t worry we have always had valid licenses for both GroupShield and Anti-Spam.
The spam filter was also called Anti-Spam when we were running GroupSheild 6, as far as I remember. And it is also reffered to as Anti-Spam in the documentation for GroupSheild 6....