5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 12:47 PM by pcorcuera

WHAT IS NAME.DAT SCAN.DAT CLEAN.DAT

Good morning.

I commented my problem.

I have a Windows NT with a virus scan 8.0 patch 16.

Sometimes after I saved the update files in the folder C: \ WINNT these files are
      NAME.DAT SCAN.DAT CLEAN.DAT and a UPD file.

Why can this happen and is there any way to change the directory (I have little space on drive C:)

I await your reply a greeting.

• 1. Re: WHAT IS NAME.DAT SCAN.DAT CLEAN.DAT
          andyross

Those are the Virus definition files. I think they can be deleted as the actual used files are stored in the program directory.

Be aware that VirusScan 8.0 will no longer be suported after December. New virus definition files will stop sometime around March or April.

• 2. Re: WHAT IS NAME.DAT SCAN.DAT CLEAN.DAT
            sthayden

What agent version are you running? Some older agents had an issue with cleaning out the downloaded dat files out of the temp directory. If needed, upgrade to Agent 4.0 patch 3 and this version does remove the dat files out of the temp directory after they are applied. I have found older computers in our environment that have had over 6 gigs of old dat files in the temp directory that I needed to clean out.

• 3. Re: WHAT IS NAME.DAT SCAN.DAT CLEAN.DAT

All very nice.

The problem is that my operating system is NT, my agent is 3.5.

My question is whether these files should be saved in the temp folder, that saves these files in the operating system.

want, and thank you very much

• 4. Re: WHAT IS NAME.DAT SCAN.DAT CLEAN.DAT
                sthayden

I havent actually worked with McAfee on NT Workstation 4.0, but from your picture you have attached, that is what the folder and files look like in the temp folder on 2000 and XP, so I would say that yes, those are the files that are downloaded before they are copied to the Common Files folder. If you look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine you should see all the DAT files in there which is where they get copied after they are downloaded. Why they are going directly to the WINNT folder instead of the Temp folder is beyond me, but that folder in the WINNT directory should be safe to delete. I would also check to see if there are other folders that are named in a similar fashion in your WINNT and Temp directory that have DAT files in them and remove those directories as well. If you do find a lot of those folders, I would again suggest that you upgrade your Agent because the issue with those temp files not being removed after a successful dat update has been corrected in the newer Agent versions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: WHAT IS NAME.DAT SCAN.DAT CLEAN.DAT

i can update the agent

TNKS for you coments