9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 8:49 AM by fatigued

"Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

Installed McAfee Int. Sec. 2010  2 weeks ago, had virus, pd fee to get it removed, now 2 weeks later we are getting a new one "Security Tool" mostly stating we have a worm Lsas.Blaster.Keyloger.  How do I get rid of it?  Tried running malwarebytes, mcafee not getting anywhere, shuts down computer.  HELP.

• 1. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it
          Dinz

Hi,
          This seems to be a latest spyware infection ;

Download the Stinger tool from the link below:

http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

1. Double-click Stinger and select Preferences.
          2. Enable the Report Applications option.
          3. Click OK.
          4. Click Scan Now and allow the scan to complete.

NOTE: During the scan, you may receive a clean error during on certain .cab files. Ignore the error and allow the scan to complete. The files will be removed when the system is restarted.

5. Restart your computer.
          6. Run Stinger again using the steps above.

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          Mcafee Online community Moderator

• 2. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

Thanks, but it won't let me open it....it downloaded to my desktop but the virus is stopping it from opening up?  Any more ideas? oops,,,,computer shut down (by virus) now when it started back up I was able to get scan to work....will let you know how it ends up....thanks so far

Message was edited by: helpme on 11/25/09 8:36 AM
            • 3. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

I'm having similar issue with "Security Tool" but it block me when I try to launch IE so I cannot download the file you suggested.  It is blocking me from running 'add/remove programs', running McAfee, running my anti-spyware program, etc. as well.  HELP!

Update:  Program got hung up and I was then able to run taskmanger and delete it.  I've downloaded Stinger and am now running it.  I too will update if this works or not.

Message was edited by: scmart on 11/25/09 1:44 PM
              • 4. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

I ran stinger.  Did not get any messages.  Restarted computer as you stated, "Security Tool" is still there upon startup.  I once again clicked on 'register product' (or something like that) button in "Security Tool" it once again hung up, i once again stopped process via taskmanager and I'm rerunning Stinger (as you also stated).

Message was edited by: scmart on 11/25/09 2:24 PM
                • 5. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

I'm still having same problem....was able to run through stinger but it found nothing, and shut down afterward....reran it still nothing.  Still have the "Security Tool" virus...... HELP!!!

• 6. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

I also ran stinger twice and it did not find anything.  But the following worked for me:

First, what was happening was when I booted up my PC "Security Tool" would launch act like it was running a virus/spyware scan and then ask if I want to get rid of it.  If I clicked yes, then it asked me to register and if I said yes to that it launched to a page asking for money (something like $39.99 for a year or $79.99 for lifetime).

If I closed out of Security tool I could not then launch McAfee, my spyware program, task manager, add/remove programs or even IE as Security Tool would give me some bogus error message about how these programs were trying to give my credit card info away.

Luckily, one time after several reboots, when I clicked on the 'yes I want to register' the program hungup and then I could launch task manager and kill the program, though it still showed in the system tray to the bottom right.  I then ran stinger again - still did not show anything, but I then ran my spyware program, SpyWare Detector 2010, www.spywaredetector.net, ran a full scan wit 'rootkit scan' and 'virus scan' selected and it found and quarantined "Security Tool" and now all seems good.  I can log on, Security Tool does not launch and does not show on my system tray and I can run all my programs.  Spyware Detector 2010 is not free, but I know there are free spyware programs that may do it is well, can't say.

I also looked at what was in my startup file my clicking start, then run, then entering 'msconfig', clicking the 'startup' tab, and saw '58673332' as a program that was to be automaticallly started.  this was suspicous so I selected it and disable it.  You may also want to search your drive for files with '58673332' in them.  I did that before I ran my spyware program and found 3 files including an application file.  Maybe you could do the same and just delete those files without messing with msconfig, though it may give itself a different name each time, I just don't know.  I'm certainly not a computer geek.

Anyway, hope this helps as this was more than annoying

Message was edited by: scmart on 11/25/09 5:58 PM
                    • 7. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

I also have this on one of my computers, right click on the desk top icon go to propriter click on security and deny all users.. Reboot and your computer wii run!!!!!!!

• 8. Re: "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

Locking this thread as the orginial poster has not replied since the 26 of November.

• 9. "Security Tool" Warning- Help me get rid of it

~ SYSTEM TOOLS~ Virus --

I have run the following, to rid myself of the "System Tool" virus ( btw... is this same as the older "Security Tool" Virus ??

Anyway... I followed these instructions, BUT *

-----------

Download the Stinger tool from the link below:

http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

1. Double-click Stinger and select Preferences.
                          2. Enable the Report Applications option.
                          3. Click OK.
                          4. Click Scan Now and allow the scan to complete.

NOTE: During the scan, you may receive a clean error during on certain .cab files. Ignore the error and allow the scan to complete. The files will be removed when the system is restarted.

5. Restart your computer.
                          6. Run Stinger again using the steps above.

----------

* -- I ran this, THREE Times, but ONLY under a Standard User Account, since This Virus will NOT allow Stinger.exe to be Run under The Administrator.

My Adminsitrator, with alll of my Data Files, is the ONLY that appears Affected by the ~System Tool~ Virus

Even before I ran Stinger.exe under a Standard User -- THAT particular Standard User appeared UNAFFECTED.

I do not understand, why using Stinger.exe under a Standard User, would not ALSO "FIX" My Administrator ??

BOTTOM LINE -- DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT WILL FIX MY ADMINISTRATOR PROFILE ??

Thank you, Fatigued