Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
16187 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2010 4:15 PM by joetofsd RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Newcomer 7 posts since
Nov 25, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2009 2:03 AM

Virus (?) won't let me run McAfee (or anything else!)

Why didn't my McAfee sub work and what do I do now? My whole computer is shut down, won't let me do anything.  It started with a supposed Windows alert, but it kept going to a screen asking me to subscribe to an anti-virus package, so I wasn't sure it was real.

I have a subscription for  McAfee VirusScan Plus, I've kept it up to date, although the last couple of days I haven't had the time to reboot, but I did so when the Windows alert (I think) popped up and told me I had a threat.   But it won't let me load McAfee or anything else, it just gives me the subscription page for the service. 

It tells me a program is infected and it can't perform the action no matter what I try to do.  When I went to turn off the computer it started updating XP, \i wasn\t sure if it was real or not so I powered down.  Hope I din't further screw things up.

I'm trying to do all this on a new netbook that i can't work very well, I wanted to jus tphone mcafee to see what was going on and they apparently want a whack of money on top of my sub to fix this?  very annoying!  My sub runs out in mid-Dec, should i just try another service?  Wish i made more notes re: what the computer was trying to get me to subscribe to.  Looked like a legit Windows alert. 

• SamSwift Group Leader 651 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    2. Nov 25, 2009 7:43 AM (in response to snews)
    Re: Virus (?) won't let me run McAfee (or anything else!)

Hi,

You have a fakealert infection on your machine by the sounds of it. We see many many new variants of these every single day. Can you please try running our stinger tool on the machine and let us know if it helps? You can download the file here http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger , and instructions on how to run it are documented.

Hope this helps,

Sam

• SamSwift Group Leader 651 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    6. Nov 25, 2009 11:10 AM (in response to snews)
    Re: Virus (?) won't let me run McAfee (or anything else!)

I wouldn't recommend uninstalling. Please have a go with stinger and let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Sam

• Newcomer 2 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009

I had the same thing....Stinger downloaded ok, but wouldn't start...still disappeared after showing up for a moment......

ReStarting computer then immediately before the bad program started, I opened the Stinger and hit scan and within moments it had found and deleted the trojan..... (which turned out to be in my Documents and Settings/Joe/Local/ApplicationsData/aehryx/phhlsysguard.exe -- that was the name)

THANKYOU..... AWESOME.

• Newcomer 2 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010

I have had similar bankerfox A attack.  Tried to access internet malware url from mcafee site but blocked by virus to acess any internet site.

Started in safemode networking to access internet and blocked again.

in Safemode, I opened mcAfee and did quick scan.  nothing found.

Why isn't McAfee picking this up?

Thanks for your help,

Al

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points