3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 10:01 PM by secured2k

Security Center Alert- It's not the native windows security center

Running Windows Vista,in the last 2 days I have a window pop-up with the title "Secuirty Center Alert" threating me with VirusWin32.Hala.a and series of message about windows firewall has blocked the above virus but cannot remove it and it gives me a option to "Enable Protection", if I do it installs "AntiMalware" software and runs a scan and displays a list of Trojan viruses residing in my computer and voila it wants me to upgrade to paid version of Antimalware to get rid of it.

Ran Full scan of McAfee virus software today and it quarantined seven Trojan viruses it found during scan (even though my computer is set up to Mcafee scan every day). However the "Secuirty Center Alert" still keeps popping up with the above listed virus.

Any idea what is going on and how do I get this of this virus.

My computer performace has slowed in past few months and I wonder if this was the reason. Did a serach in this form and no one has mentioned this exact issues. Thanks for your help in advance

McAfewe Products Installed

Security Center

Version:9.15

Virus Scan

Version:13.15

Personal Firwall

Version: 10.15

Site Adivisor

Verison 3.0

• 1. Re: Security Center Alert- It's not the native windows security center

It sounds like you have a small piece of malware on your computer trying to trick you into installing other bad software. You can locate and submit the bad files to McAfee or try one of the free removal tools below.

To help McAfee by capturing this new variant of an undetected virus, please start with the following:

Try using AutoRuns to detect non-Microsoft files that aren't Digitally Signed to find out where the virus files are loading.

Download and Run AutoRuns

1. When it starts, Press <ESC> to cancel the initial scan.
          2. Go to the OPTIONS menu and make sure "Verify Code Signatures" AND "Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries" are checked.
          3. Choose the FILE menu - > Refresh.

This will scan your computer's startup locations and list them. It is done when the lower left status bar says "Ready."

You can us the FILE menu to save a file with a list of your startup items. Please attach it to your post and wait for further instructions.

Another Option...

If you've watched some of the other posts on the forums. you may have also seen recommendations to use MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Windows Defender, and other programs that may be able to detect and remove this threat. I recommend MalwareBytes as it may also undo some of the system changes that the virus has made to your system. Microsoft's free Windows Defender may also be able to detect and remove this threat as well.

MalwareBytes

Windows Defender

• 2. Re: Security Center Alert- It's not the native windows security center

Thanks, Malwarebytes did the job, this virus was persistent throughout the scan even shutting the computer down once, but on the 2nd scan I had to sit through the whole scan & made sure "computer will restart in 30secs" message" was properly ignored and let the scan do the job.

My question is in spite of having McAfee run a scan every day and then a separate "full scan" today it was not able to detect this malware.

I paid for my McAfee whereas a freeware like Malwarebytes is able is ably to take care of such issues. Is this kind of issues beyond the scope of  McAfee's capability, would appreciate a reply in layman's terms

• 3. Re: Security Center Alert- It's not the native windows security center

There is no security software (Antivirus/AntiMalware) in the world that can replace the complexity of the human brain. Since malware like this is created by humans, they are made with methods to specifically evade AntiVirus detection.

The McAfee Anti-Malware Engine is capable of detecting the files and excels at PREVENTING what it can detect from getting onto your system. However, without the AntiVirus researchers getting copies of the malware, they canot update the DAT files to add this detection.

On the other hand, MalwareBytes was created by using methods designed to clean up existing infection rather than prevent them. It excels at cleaning up files and repairing system changes by using it's own special methods to directly delete files and registry entries for known detections. This allows for it to repair difficult infections better. Also, the authors of this program get many of the most recent samples by having volunteers provide instructions to people on forums who have gotten some new Malware sample. This usually always includes getting a copy of the malware to the people that are helping to remove it thus allowing for new detections to be added faster.