3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 7:03 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Unable to cancel a scan

I've been using Mcafee for a long time now and seem to have a problem that comes and goes. Sometimes Mcafee will start a scan when I don't want it to so I double click the scan icon next to the clock and then click on cancel, however nothing happens. Mcafee refuses to cancel the scan, even after being left for several minutes and even an hour before it will just refuse to cancel the scan. I cannot click on pause as the button becomes grayed out as soon as I click on cancel. To get it to cancel I have to restart my computer which is a pain as sometimes I am doing something important and can't really restart the PC. Anyone know what the problem could be a how to fix it?

I am currently running Windows 7 however this same problem happened on vista and XP for me.

• 1. Re: Unable to cancel a scan
          Ex_Brit

Moved provisionally to VirusScan 13.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Configure (left)

Click Computer & Files (top left)

Click Advanced (right)

Click Scheduled Scan (left)

Uncheck Enable Scheduled Scan as per the picture below (click to enlarge).

Click Apply and OK.

Capture.JPG

• 2. Re: Unable to cancel a scan
            garetoo

Same issue here, ever get an aswer that works?

• 3. Re: Unable to cancel a scan
              Ex_Brit

This was from 2009 and the software used then has long since been obsolete.  I suggest you start a new discussion in VirusScan and give more details such as your software version (open it and click 'About'), operating system and service pack etc. etc.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/07/13 8:03:42 EDT AM