5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 10:28 AM by vaccinator

Move ePO DB from ePO Server to dedicated SQL Server

Hi

ePO 4.5.0.753

SQL Server 9.0.4053

Actually i'm running ePO and SQL on the same machine. I'm planning to move the DB to a dedicated SQL Server. Because i didn't find any information about how to do this with ePO 4.5 i plan to proceed as discribed in 'https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB65739&actp=search&search id=1258395821259' (Recommended procedure for migrating or moving an ePO 4.0 database to a new SQL server).

Any suggestions abut this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Move ePO DB from ePO Server to dedicated SQL Server
          JoeBidgood

Hi...

That article looks fine - obviously the names of the services will be different, but otherwise it's OK  

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Move ePO DB from ePO Server to dedicated SQL Server

Hi

On the Article (kb65739) is referenced another (KB58019; 'https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB58019') on how to change SQL TCP/IP Ports. But this references to ePO 3.6.x and the files in question are either not present (atlas.properties, ComplianceServer.properties) on ePO 4.5 Server or do not contain the appropriate entry (Alerting.properties). So step 5 in KB65739 is confusing to me. Note that SQL DB Services are provided by some other people in our Organization and therefore i can not change any ports to SQL DB.

Can somebody confirm i only have to complete Step 6 from KB65739 to set the Port configured by the SQL DB provider.

Also the Registry key from Step 7 is missing on my installation.

Thank you

Markus

• 4. Re: Move ePO DB from ePO Server to dedicated SQL Server
              JoeBidgood
              But this references to ePO 3.6.x and the files in question are either not present (atlas.properties, ComplianceServer.properties) on ePO 4.5 Server or do not contain the appropriate entry (Alerting.properties). So step 5 in KB65739 is confusing to me.

Thanks for pointing this out - I will get the article modified so that it refers to the correct version of ePO.

Can somebody confirm i only have to complete Step 6 from KB65739 to set the Port configured by the SQL DB provider.

You are correct - to set the port, you only need step 6: the port is set using the config page.

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Move ePO DB from ePO Server to dedicated SQL Server

Hi

I gave it a try today. Until now it seems to have been successfull. Can i do additional testing to verify things are running as expected?

A Task from within ePo to create and switch to a new empty DB on a different Server would be great.

Our DB Providers wanted to have the DB split into file groups for Performance reasons but they hesitated to do so on a fully populated DB as you will encounter it after a restore.

So for the moment, the DB is always running in flat file model as on the previous server.

Probably if i want to have the DB split into file groups i will have to uninstall and reinstall the ePO server and to do the splitting before the DB is going to be populated, right?

Cheers

markus