5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 4:52 PM by Aesculus

Upgrade 8.5i to 8.7i in windows 7

I've always used mcafee 8.5i as my virusscanner for my home pc. Which i got from my school that pays for  a volume license or something like that. As many of you might know, 8.5i does not work with windows 7. So my question is: Is mcafee 8.5i upgradable to 8.7i or is it a new application apart from 8.5i that has to be bought again before use. If there is a way to upgrade i can simpy upgrade to 8.7i in Vista and then upgrade Vista to Windows 7. If not i gues i have to inform at my school if there will come a 8.7i version.

I'd like to hear from you people if there is a way to upgrade or patch 8.5i to 8.7i or not. Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Upgrade 8.5i to 8.7i in windows 7
          Dinz

Hi,
          Could you please confirm whether you are using Mcafee Home products or Enterprise version ?

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Upgrade 8.5i to 8.7i in windows 7

hi and thanks for the reply,

the viruscan is the enterprise version. I though that the "i" in the version number says that it is an enterprise version but apparently not. Also, i see there is a separate part for bussines software in this forum. I gues i should have created the topic there, but i cant do much about that anymore now.

• 3. Re: Upgrade 8.5i to 8.7i in windows 7
              Dinz

Hi,
              Thanks for confirming it, I shall move your thread to the business community where you will be getting help soon.

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 4. Re: Upgrade 8.5i to 8.7i in windows 7
                wwarren

You'll want to contact the school for a copy of the 8.7i installation binaries.

Then install VSE once you have your Operating System already set, i.e. don't install VSE to Vista then upgrade to Windows 7 - never do that, actually. Upgrading the OS when a 3rd party application is installed that has kernel components is potentially bad... it could be disastrous. McAfee doesn't support this scenario anyway.

So, install Windows 7. Then install VSE 8.7i (and Patch 2).

If you can get a copy of the latest installation binaries, those are at the Patch 2 version already.

• 5. Re: Upgrade 8.5i to 8.7i in windows 7

Thanks for your answer i'll ask at my school if there is an updated version. I'll also double check with them if i actualy can use this for my work pc at home since it isn't realy part of the network of school im starting to doubt it.About the upgrading an OS that has 3rd party components in the kernel part you tell about. Thats a nice tip in general and is actualy very logical.

But anyway, thanks for your advice i'll inform at my school for further information.