3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 6:36 AM by Rene.TRK.Wiese

Questions about migration from 4 to 4.5, new server / ip

Dear All,

I would like to migrate my ePO 4 to 4.5. The fact is that we're actually virtualising our infrastructure and by the way we separate as much as possible applications per server.

So I installed a new server and would like to know if this path is possible :

Installation of EPO 4.5 to the new server.

Backup old 4.0 database and directly migrate it to my new server with epo 4.5.

The new server has a different netbios name and ip adress.

On the EPO 4.0 server, the database is apparently Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine.

Thank you by advance for your answer.

Any advices / ideas accepted.

• 1. Re: Questions about migration from 4 to 4.5, new server / ip

Hello Univerre,

this unfortunatly will not work out ... or I did not understand your steps correctly ...

As a matter of fact the database schema between the ePO 4.0 and ePO 4.5 database is different. Therefore a plain backup of the ePO 4.0 database and restore in the ePO 4.5 server will not work.

In your case you should consider to move the database backup to the new server having ePO 4.0 with the same patch installed and upgrade this server to ePO 4.5 (you will need to make sure that the patch level for ePO 4.0 is at least P3 or higher - I recommend personally Patch 4 but most of my colleagues suggest Patch 5).

From the new machine you will need to distribute the McAfee Agent again with possbily the option to force over existing Agents to update the Sitelist.xml and Security Keys so that the endnodes can communicate with your new virtualized ePO 4.5.

Rene

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Questions about migration from 4 to 4.5, new server / ip

Thank you Rene,

For the quickness of your response. I'll try to update my actual epo to the latest patch, install the same version on my new server and try migration.

I'll update the newer server after.

Isn't there any issue with the fact that the computer name and ip adress will be different ?

I let you in touch.

Best Regards.

Valentin

• 3. Re: Questions about migration from 4 to 4.5, new server / ip

Dear Valentin,

the details will be updated within the database as soon as it restarts the ePO services.

The point is that the agents on the endnodes will not know that the machine has been moved.

Therefore the will still try to communicate to the decommissioned machine unless you redeploy the agent to force the reinstallation with the correct keys and sitelist.xml point to the new epo server installation.

Rene