6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 10:17 AM by khussey

Sidewinder G2 GUI

I am working on our firewalls and although they are functional I am having dificulty with them not accepting changes that need to be written to the database.  Has anyone experienced this. This is the error thrown at me through the Cobra interface. OH, and we are still on version 6.2

Client Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/share/cobra/lib/cobraclient.py", line 324, in SaveAndContinue
        File "/usr/share/cobra/lib/cobraTree.py", line 4664, in SaveAndContinueEvent
        File "/usr/share/cobra/lib/cobraTree.py", line 2127, in CommitChanges
        File "/usr/share/cobra/lib/cobraTree.py", line 2144, in Translate
        File "/usr/contrib/lib/python2.2/site-packages/broker/swobclient.py", line 307, in __call__
        File "/usr/contrib/lib/python2.2/site-packages/broker/swobclient.py", line 353, in _do_execute
        File "/usr/contrib/lib/python2.2/site-packages/broker/swobclient.py", line 436, in HandleServerException
      swerror.TSWInternalError: TSWInternalError: (3, "Error writing file './swede/active_config.frm' (Errcode: 28)")

Server Traceback:
        File "/usr/share/cobrad/cobrad.py", line 811, in HandleRequest
        File "/usr/share/cobrad/cobrad.py", line 594, in execute
        File "/usr/share/cobrad/cobrad.py", line 465, in execute_locally
        File "/usr/share/cobrad/COBRAD_swedeHandler.py", line 260, in Translate
        File "/usr/contrib/lib/python2.2/site-packages/cf/translator.py", line 286, in Translate
        File "/usr/contrib/lib/python2.2/MySQLdb/cursors.py", line 95, in execute
        File "/usr/contrib/lib/python2.2/MySQLdb/cursors.py", line 114, in _execute
        File "/usr/contrib/lib/python2.2/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 33, in defaulterrorhandler

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Sidewinder G2 GUI

The important line is "Error writing file './swede/active_config.frm"

This essentially means that the active configuration cannot be written to the database.

Is your filesystem full? Try the output of a 'df' command at the CLI.

What version and patch are you currently at? If you have valid support you should call support to work through your issue.

• 2. Re: Sidewinder G2 GUI

Hello,

Whenever you receive a Traceback such as this, it is recommended that you contact Technical Support for assistance. Tech Support may need to gather more information from your firewall in order identify the problem and provide a solution. Please call Tech Support at 1-888-847-8766, option 2, option 2, option 3 (Secure Computing products) or visit the support portal at http://mysupport.mcafee.com and open a web ticket.

• 3. Re: Sidewinder G2 GUI

I did a df and found that my /VAR directory was at capacity 100%  I removed all the tmp and log files that I can find I am now at 94%,  /var/spool is only at 26%.  The one directory that has a lot of data is /var/packages.  Can I delete all the old packages in this directory, and if so do I have to login in with the root or superuser ?  I sroled and it won't let me delete any packages.

thanks

• 4. Re: Sidewinder G2 GUI

The Sidewinder does not have a 'root' or 'superuser' account; it is Type Enforcement that is prohibiting you from deleting the packages. It is not likely that removing these packages will resolve the issue. The issue is really with a corruption in the SWEDE database. Due to the sensitivity of this issue, we cannot post the resolution in a publicly accessible forum. However, if you open a ticket with Technical Support we can walk you through the steps to resolve this issue in a timely matter.

• 5. Re: Sidewinder G2 GUI

To find what is so large on /var run the following command:

cd /var
                    du -ax | sort -n -r | less

The output will show the files/directories, sorted in descending size (the number displayed is the number of 512-byte blocks).

Usually when the /var partition fills up it is /var/mail. This directory keeps all the 'admin' user messages on the firewall. If no alias for 'root' has been configured, then it is common for messages to pile up over the years and fill the partition.

If /var/mail is the culprit you can delete the files in this directory (all your admin mail). I would then configure an alias for root which sends mail off the firewal to prevent this from happening in the future.

Message was edited by: Dave Gold on 11/19/09 2:04 PM
                  • 6. Re: Sidewinder G2 GUI

Thanks sooo much for the assistance.  This resolved the issue.  When I got the /var volume down to 94% I was then able to make edits to my policies and add policy objects.  Once you responded with the Admin email cleaning. I deleted the /var/mail/ admin file and low and behold I had /var down to 11%.  This being a development access point firewall I went ahead and checked all of my Sidewinders and all of the /var directories were reporting 80% or higher I deleted the mail files and all my firewalls /var volumes are now down to %20 or better.

I am definately going to schedule a change order and put an allias for the admin mail as suggested.

thanks for the help