6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 12:57 PM by wwarren

RDP session causing On-Access Scan

tao

When RDP'ing to a 2008 Virtual server I notice that the On-Access Scan is initiated.  Is there a way to minimize or disable this feature?  It's causing somewhat of a performance issue.

TIA

• 1. Re: RDP session causing On-Access Scan
          RMCCULLO

Well the OAS scan should always be running? Maybe you mean the Splash Screen is appearing. If that is the case you should disable the Splash screen via VSE policies (User Interface options) in ePO.

OAS = On Access Scanner

ODS - On Demand Scanner

If its ODS, then someone must have configured a task to run on Login/logon for the Scan Task. Disable this, and personaly I dont recomend running ODS scans at logon. A better option is a scheduled Time Off hours, and after the Dats have updated. Of course there are always exceptions (like current infections in the eviroment).

Also Im not going to post how to disable the OAS in this thread, as I dont beleive that is really what you want to do, and it would be a bad thing if you have active virus infections in your enviroment.

• 2. Re: RDP session causing On-Access Scan
            tao

Not the splash screen. I have noticed that every time that I launch a RDP session to this server a OAS will be triggered right when I login. ODS is scheduled for non-business hours.  I'm interested as to why a RDP session would kick off a OAS.

TIA

• 3. Re: RDP session causing On-Access Scan
              RMCCULLO

So once again OAS cannot be triggered at login, as it is a Driver that loads on the startup of Windows.

It is always running when you have VSE installed, and should be to prevent infections.

Can you get the name of the Process that is launching? And are you sure it is a real McAfee Process?

FYI: this thread should be moved the VSE Group, as it is not really related to ePO.

• 4. Re: RDP session causing On-Access Scan
                GWIRT

Moved to VSE Community.

• 5. Re: RDP session causing On-Access Scan
                  tao

RMCCULLO wrote:

So once again OAS cannot be triggered at login, as it is a Driver that loads on the startup of Windows.

It is always running when you have VSE installed, and should be to prevent infections.

Can you get the name of the Process that is launching? And are you sure it is a real McAfee Process?

FYI: this thread should be moved the VSE Group, as it is not really related to ePO.

You are correct Ryan. I believe it's more inline with the RDP session triggering an OAS due to a Process that it's initiating.  I'm pretty sure that it's a real McAfee Process because the On-Access Scan Stats shows a real time scan in progress rather then a static snapshot scan.

TIA

• 6. Re: RDP session causing On-Access Scan
                    wwarren

The on-access scanner is controlled by the McShield service.

If this service is running - and it should be - then you can expect scanning activity to occur based on your OAS scanning configuration.

User logon does invoke disk activity, so there will be scanning taking place. And it would not be advisable to disable it.