2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 5:39 PM by April Jacobs

help! need advice on how to remove a virus without paying 89 dollars!

Hi. I need help to remove a virus... I purchased mcafee because my avg kept saying it was going to expire. i was told that i had to completely remove avg before i could install mcafee, so i did.  tried to install mcafee and a virus called "antivirus plus" keeps popping up multiple times. i called mcafee for tech support and they said i could pay 89 dollars for them to remove it. I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM UNTIL I WAS TRYING TO INSTALL MCAFEE!!! i paid 45 dollars for the mcafee, now i have to pay $89 dollars?! so i expressed this situation to them and they sent me a download for stinger tool and that didn't work... the guy put me on hold to ask if they could waive the virus removal fee and SURPRISE, the supervisor said no. so the tech support guy said to come on here and someone could help me... i've got my fingers crossed. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

• 1. Re: help! need advice on how to remove a virus without paying 89 dollars!

I've moved your post into the Home User Assistance area in our Malware Discussion community. The URL to this thread did not change.

• 2. Re: help! need advice on how to remove a virus without paying 89 dollars!
            Peter M

First try updating your VirusScan, a new DAT that covers that malware might be available. If that gives no joy then try scanning your PC in safe mode:

Tap F8 repeatedly while booting up. You'll get a boot screen with choices.

Pick Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Networking if you will need access to the

internet. Your PC will boot in a lower resolution state as most processes wont be running.

Go to "My Computer" (XP) or "Computer" (Vista/Windows 7), right-click the hard drive

and select "Scan" from the drop-down menu. All you'll see is an extra taskbar icon which will show a progress report if you hover over it.

If still no good scan in DOS using McAfee:

see: http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100288

If things are still unstable or your want a second opinion then to be on the

safe side scan with the free versions of these tools:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Sometimes the malware could be protecting itself against this by preventing

the installation so try this:

Rename the executable..

Example: open the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes folder, then rename the

"mbam.exe" file to something else, like "1234.exe", then double click directly on the file to open the program.

Update both programs before running them and let them clean anything they find by doing a full scan.

If they quarantine a file or cannot remove a file try to get a copy of it and send it to McAfee.  Guidelines published HERE.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/17/09 4:47 PM