4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 1:05 PM by majique44

TrojanFakealert

On startup, i get a message:  Error Loading C:\Windows\System32\sshnas.dll  I ran McAfee scan, found nothing.  I searched Internet and found info on it, then i used a "free" product to scan and it found something called TrojanFakealert.  Of course, they want me to pay a lot to get the complete removal.  Is there anyway to remove this using my McAfee?  HELP!!

• 1. Re: TrojanFakealert
          SamSwift

Can you submit the file to http://www.webimmune.net  ?

Also please go to the McAfee Labs page HERE and click on the link for "Stinger v10.0.1.624". This will download a file called Stinger.exe.

Save the file to your desktop and try and double click the file. Does anything open?

If you can run the file then you will now see a small window with some options. Click on "Preferences".

Under "Scan these targets" tick both boxes

Under "On virus detection" select "Delete"

Under "Heuristic network check for suspicious files" select "Medium" from the drop down box.

Click "OK"

Select "Scan Now"

If you double click the file and nothing happens, try renaming the file to anything else random e.g. Sunshine.exe. On some systems you might not see the ".exe" part of the file name and so you might just see Stinger, in which case rename it to Sunshine

Please let us know if this helps.

Sam

• 2. Re: TrojanFakealert

i ran stinger (took almost an hour) and found nothing (number of clean files: 217715).  I don't know the name of the infected file, just that it was identified by Spyware Doctor as Trojan.Fakealert with 10 infections found.  any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: TrojanFakealert
              dmeier

By the error you are getting, it seems that the system is trying to load a file that doesn't exit.  Is this the only symptom you currently have, or are there still odd things happening?

You could run "msconfig" at the Start>Run line, and then click on the "Startup" tab over on the right.  This will give you a list of everything your systems attempts to load on reboot.

Do you see that DLL mentioned in there anywhere?

I wouldn't be surprised if you still have some pieces of malware on the system, but we just have to tackle each symptom one at a time.

Let us know, and we'll see if we can help out.

- David

• 4. Re: TrojanFakealert

I found how to remove it!!  A freeware program called Malwarebytes, found and removed it.  McAfee took credit for three of them, LOL..