1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 8:00 AM by MyITGuy

Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

NOTE: Whether or not this post resolves your issue, please post back letting us know your experience.

Problem

When attempting to access the VirusScan Console using the right-click menu options of the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise icon in the system tray, the user is prompted with the following error:

McAfee - Error - Could not access the local computer.png

Furthermore, the user is able to access the VirusScan Console using the Start Menu shortcut.

Cause

The root cause is unknown at this time.

Resolution

Export and Import the Windows Installer information for the logged-on user.

1. Export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData \{SID} registry key.
      2. Import the  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData \{SID} registry key.

{SID} is the SID for the logged-on user.

More Information

A full uninstall and reinstall of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise did not resolve this issue.

The affected user account did have one component listed under their HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\ {SID}\Components registry key, but it was not a McAfee component. (It was .NET Framework 3.5 component)

The affected user was an administrator on the local computer.

The affected user was logged onto the system at the time the McAfee products (McAfee Agent, VirusScan Enterprise Client and Antispyware Module) were being installed.

The affected users credentials were used to install the McAfee products via the ePO 4.0/4.5 console.

New users logging into the system are not affected.

Other users logging into the system are not affected.

If the affected users profile is deleted and logs into the system again, the issue is resolved.

When the tray icon is clicked the McTray.exe process attempts to locate the Windows Installer component that contains the advertised shortcut of mcconsol.exe. At the time of the issue, a Process Monitor capture of the McTray.exe process showed that when the system tray icon shortcut was accessed, it used the users SID as the starting point to locate the Windows Installer component.

Message was edited by: MyITGuy on 11/15/09 9:37 AM
        • 1. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

Interesting....

Since I've never seen the error you've mentioned here, is this a known issue with anyone else than you? Is this an answer to someone else's question on these forums? How many machines have you seen this problem with? (It appears like you only had ONE computer with this problem?)

In your post, you've not told us which version of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise shows this issue? Have you been able to reproduce the issue on all Enterprise versions?

You mention that the "affected user was logged into the system" and the "The affected users credentials were used to install the McAfee products via the ePO 4.0/4.5 console." So the same user was using the computer AND was using the ePO console? That sounds a little unusual.. How did you determine that a non-McAfee key made a difference?

And most importantly, your "Resolution" doesn't really make sense.. It appears like your "exporting" the same key to be "imported".. Huh? You're simply moving it out, then moving it back in to the registry again? I'm not sure why that would change anything..

In cases such as this, we generally perform a FULL uninstall which allows us to remove all registry keys and any remnants not deleted with the Add/Remove Programs uninstall..

Hope this helps.

Grif

• 2. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

Hey Grif. I share your confusion. Organized your questions a little...

Q: Is this a known issue with anyone else than you?

A: Unknown. Hence this post.

Q: Is this an answer to someone else's question on these forums?

A: Unknown. It could be, but I haven't seen one. Hence this post.

Q: How many machines have you seen this problem with? (It appears like you only had ONE computer with this problem?)

A: Currently 20 computer in 3 different customer sites. The post results are from one system for the purposes of accurate issue validation.

Q: Which version of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise shows this issue?

A: 8.5i and 8.7i pushed using ePO 4.5 through McAfee Agent 4.0 and/or 4.5.

Q: Have you been able to reproduce the issue on all Enterprise versions?

A: I'm not attempting to resolve the issue, just present what has been seen and how we dealt with it.

Q: The same user was using the computer AND was using the ePO console?

A: Yes. A domain administrator.

Q: How did you determine that a non-McAfee key made a difference?

A: Process Monitor showed the Windows Installer key was referenced when the system tray menu item was selected. As a test, I backed-up the key, exported and imported.

Q: "exporting" the same key to be "imported"?

A: Yes. It didn't, and still doesn't, make sense to me either.

To be clear, this is only an issue with shortcut functionality from the system tray. Services are not impacted and shortcuts from the Start Menu function as expected.

Furthermore, there is nothing pointing to McAfee being the issue. Honestly, the issue could be related to either Windows Installer (most likely), .NET Framework 3.5, or both.

HTH

• 3. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

Thanks for the response.. I've not seen the issue here but obviously, it's an issue in your setup.. Maybe you need to have someone else do the installations from ePO other than an admin that's logged into one of the other machines.. And maybe that's the solution for most users and possibly why others haven't seen it.. Our domain admins perform the installations from a dedicated machine/server where that same user won't be logged into another computer. They'll use either a different login account on the server or they aren't logged into a second unit.

Hope this helps.

Grif

• 4. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.
                wwarren

If you want to get to the root of the issue, you'll want to keep a system in that state that can be worked with by McAfee Support.

Perhaps a VM image can be taken of it.

The error message I've seen before and it was due to permissions on certain McAfee registry keys (under HKLM\Software\McAfee, and Network Associates), but the conditions and solution described here have no relevance whatsoever. So, I'm lost too. Having a system to work with would be ideal.

• 5. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

I am having this issue, albight all users are affected.  What is the cause?  Initial google search brings up Trojan Lager for top hits.

• 6. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

Can you confirm that users are able to use the shortcuts from the Start Menu, but not from the system tray icon (this is where the error originates)? If so, are the users credentials used for the installation of the McAfee product on that system?

• 7. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

I have exactly the same issue on my own machine which follows almost exactly the same pattern.  Installed 8.7i through ePO 4.5 a couple of months ago.   I am a domain admin but my credentials were not used within the ePO as that was a different domain admin account.  I can access the console through the Start menu but I don't see everything that I expect to, and everything except VirusScan Console and About VirusScan Enterprise are greyed out in the system tray menu and clicking on the console option gives me the same error message that you have.   It is still updating the engine and dat.

It was fine until yesterday when all manner of wierdness started on my computer. I ran malwarebytes but nothing has been picked up trojan-wise.

I have started to get some users who are receiving the following error -  The instruction at 0x121119b4 referenced memory at 0x00000ea8.  The memory could not be "written".  I have 3 confirmed so far and all with exactly the same error.  I have no idea if it's related or not.

If I find any more information I'll add it to this post.

• 8. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

I received the same message after attempting to install Crystal Report Writer.  The application would not load and then the VirusScan tray icon menu grayed out except for Console and About.  Clicking Console brought up this message.  I followed the export/import key routine and the menu was immediately restored.  Thanks for this great tip! 

As a semi-literate registry editor I would add that you need to delete the original key from the registry after exporting so the key can be imported back into the registry.  I first tried exporting and then importing without removing the key and nothing happened. Duh...

I've updated Installer, but am nervious about trying to re-load Crystal.  Any thoughts about how to keep this from messing up VirusScan again?

• 9. Re: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

As the issue appears to be with using an account for installing the software that also logs into the computer interactively, try using an account that no one logs in interactively with. For McAfee, I used the ePO service account to do the installation as it does not log into workstations or servers interactively, in our environment anyway. This causes a little issue with accountability as using a generic account doesn't normally allow for knowing who did the installaion.

HTH

1 2 Previous Next