6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 11:01 AM by MySupport

McAfee (CMA) Agent icon.

Hi,

I have an issue with McAfee Agent 4.0 and the CMA icon.

The problem is that when I boot any system of ours (all of them have McAfee Agent 4.0) once the system has booted then all we get is the standard McAfee "V" Shield icon. However, if I navigate to c:\Program Files\Network Associates\ I can run UdaterUI.exe and get the "CMA" "M" icon from which I can also Navigate the McAfee Agent and its settings.

My question is: Is there a way to get the CMA icon to appear after booting a system or to keep it there constantly. Is this a bug or do I need to configure something somewhere for this to rectify the issue.

For info: We are running a mixture of Windows XP SP 2, and Windows 2003 Server SP 1. All systems are managed via EPO 4.0 currently.

Thanks

• 1. Re: McAfee (CMA) Agent icon.

Hi,

you can manage with icon are showing in taskbar.

To enable/disable CMA Icon:

Systems -> Policy Catalog -> Product: McAfee Agent -> My Default (or different Policy) -> Edit -> enable/disable

To enable/disable VScan Icon:

Systems -> Policy Catalog -> Product: VirusScan Enterprise 8.x -> Category: User Interface Policies -> My Default (or different Policy) -> Edit ->

set one of the followingoptions:

thats all ...

• 2. Re: McAfee (CMA) Agent icon.
            JoeBidgood

Is UdaterUI.exe not running on these machines after logon? It should be being loaded from the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run reg key - is there an entry in there for UdaterUI?

Regards -

Joe

• 3. Re: McAfee (CMA) Agent icon.

Thanks for both your replies. In answer to your questions.

Yes I already have "Show the McAfee system tray icon" checked under the policy.

Regarding the reg key, yes it is there.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The Value Key:

McAfeeUpdateUI

The Value data is:

"c:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\udaterui.exe" /StartedFromRunkey

• 4. Re: McAfee (CMA) Agent icon.
                JoeBidgood

Okay, the reg key is there and looks OK. After a restart, is UdaterUI running after you log in? Or do you have to manually double-click it?

Additionally - are there any messages related to udaterui in the agent log?  UdaterUI does not start (by design) on terminal servers - you may see messages relating to this.

Regards -

Joe

• 5. Re: McAfee (CMA) Agent icon.

Edit:

Hi,

Ok I rebooted a couple of desktops and UdaterUI.exe IS running on startup. From what I am,reading in your reply, if I RDP to a server then the UdaterUI.exe will not run? This could be what I am seeing.

Although there is nothing in the agent logs to show this.

Is there anyway to circumvent the problem of UdaterUI.exe not loading when you RDP to a server? (If that is the problem).

Thanks.

Message was edited by: MySupport on 11/12/09 10:01 AM
                  • 6. Re: McAfee (CMA) Agent icon.
                    JoeBidgood

Can you restart the framework service, log off, log back on again, and then (assuming udaterui is still not running) post the agent log here and I'll have a  quick look?

It may be that you'll need to open a case for this with Spport, though.

I don't suppose there are any group policies preventing this exe from running?

Regards -

Joe