6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 3:32 PM by Scotland27

migrating 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5

Hi,

this is what I did since now in a test enviroment (virtual):

- new server, sql 2005 and ePO 3.6.1 fresh install

- delete the database EPO_NEW on that server

- backup the database (sql2000) EPO_OLD, from the old machine with ePO 3.6.1

- restore the database in the new server with 2005

- rename the data base to EPO_NEW

- execute configuration utility CfgNaiMs.exe in the new sever and check that is pointing to the correct server and database, and set the authentication to a domain admin.

- at this time you have the 2 servers NEW/OLD running but all the clients pointing to OLD

- now you updgrade to 4.5 in the NEW server

- it creates a new database named EPO4_NEW, by now you can set the EPO_NEW offline

- just remains to set the distributed repositories if you have, and deploy the agent to your clients and send the activation agent, and will have your clients pointing to the new location

THE ONLY THING DIDN'T WORK FINE FOR ME IS THAT I CANNOT EDIT THE EXPECIFIC POLICIES THAT I HAD IN THE OLD SERVER, LIKE EXCLUSIONS, THE POLICIES ARE APPLIED, BUT IF I WANT TO EDIT ONE, THE EDIT POLICY BUTTON DOES NOT WORK, ALSO WORKS BUILDING A NEW POLICY, BUT ISN'T THE IDEA.

I HAVE ROLLED BACK MY VIRTUAL MACHINE TO THE MOMENT BEFORE UPDATING TO 4.5 AND EDIT WORKS FINE, SO I SUPOSE ISN'T A ISSUE WITH DATABASE IMPORT TO SQL 2005 THAT WAS MY FIRST SUSPECT, I THINK IS A PROBLEM WITH THE UPDATE. ANY IDEA OF THE ISSUE?

HOPE THIS STEPS HELP YOU MIGRATING 3.6.1 TO A NEW MACHINE (WITH NEW IP, NAME, SQL 2005).

• 1. Re: migrating 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5
          GWIRT

Can you try running the upgrade on the old 3.6.1 server first then follow KB66616 to move the ePO 4.5 server to the new server?

Message was edited by: Greg Wirt on 11/11/09 1:29 PM
          • 2. Re: migrating 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5
            RMCCULLO

Sounds like the old 3.6.1 servers policies have issues, or are corrupted. I like Gregs suggestion, but fear you will have the same issue as if your policies are corrupted in 3.6.1 they will not work no mater how you upgrade.

So let me ask you a question: Is it all your policies or is it just VS or MA? Because if it is just one, then you could try updating the NAP file in 3.6.1 before the upgrade to see if it helps. Also you could have tried making a copy of the old polices once yo upgraded and see if you can edit those. (As if you could delete the old and use the renamed copy).

Message was edited by: Ryan McCullough on 11/11/09 1:40 PM
            • 3. Re: migrating 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5

Thanks in advance,

I cannot run the upgrade in the old server because my client wants to have the backup of starting the old one if the migration in unsucessful, and also has other services not mcafeee ones.

The Mcafee default polcies can be edited but not the ones that we had applied.

One idea for this, is to export the policies in the old server and then import it in then ew one, do you think this could work?

Any more idea about this issue?

• 4. Re: migrating 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5
                RMCCULLO

Exporting the policies for VSE and MA should work. Just make a backup of the DB on the new server before you import them, as if it corrupts the policies you will have to restore the database.

Not trying to scare you, as several other customers have done this with out issue.

• 5. Re: migrating 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5

Thanks,

I think I'm going to try that, I and I will tell you if works, but by the other side I created the test enviroment (virtual) starting of nothing, I explain my self, I created DC with 3 xp in the domain, and one more server also included in the domain, then installed ePO 3.6.1 in the dc with SQL 2000 (fresh install) distributed things to xp's and then made all the stuff I've said before, so sounds rare to me that policies are corrupted as the are new as all the enviroment, but in IT nothing really makes sense, so may be they are corrupted, I would test it and tell you the results.

About the migration procedure will you change something or do you think is the correct one? I've searched a lot in mcafee documents and nothing is said about this kind of migration, you have who to migrate sql, who to restore in a crash, but not anything about migration machine, version, ip and name.

• 6. Re: migrating 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5

Try downloading and updating to the most current extensions for your products. The SQL database does not contain all the product info some product management info is stored in the EPO program directory and you probably need to check in the correct or updated extensions.