7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 7:54 AM by Gonzouk

Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?

Hello,

I have installed the Mcafee 4.5 agent on to a server and then installed 8.7i scanner and after a few days I got a call to say the server is very slow and it's the virus scanner taking up 80% of the CPU.  I is not scheduled to scan and I get access denied if I try and stop the services.  I sent another policy from the ePo 4.5 server to turn of scans on read and right and this did nothing, any ideas as I can't reboot the server?

• 1. Re: Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?

Gonzouk,

Let me assist you a little. I know why your not able to stop the services for McAfee. Since the machine is being managed by ePO there is a default setting that prevents the services from being stopped on the client side. In the ePO dashboard locate the server in question. Next click the check box and choose modify policies on a single system. Once console refreshes select the policy for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Access Protection policies. Now you should see a check box option for Prevent McAfee services from being stopped. Uncheck this option save the policy. You can then send an agent wakeup call to this server. Once the machines has picked up the policy you should be able to stop any of the McAfee services.  I would recommend installing the latest build of 8.7 there was a repost of the download package last week to include patch 2.

• 2. Re: Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?

Thanks for finding the time to help.

I have downloaded 8.7i with patch 2, what is the best way to update every PC, we are using patch 1 in a client task install (it installs the agent then 8.7i), I guess I could upload this new version to the resoitory and then edit this policy?

• 3. Re: Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?
              JoeBidgood

You can certainly do that: if your machines are already running 8.7i, though, then an alternative would be to download just the Patch 2 package and check that in, and then create an update task (not a deployment task) configured to update VSE 8.7.

Whichever you choose, please ensure that you check in the new extensions included in the Patch 2 package.

Regards -

Joe

• 4. Re: Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?

Thanks, how do I check in the extensions Joe, I'm scared I have missed something.  Unfortuanetly the course I went on didn't cover this or maybe they did but I don't remember.

Message was edited by: Gonzouk on 11/12/09 5:37 AM
                • 5. Re: Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?
                  JoeBidgood

In the Patch 2 package you'll see two zip files - VIRUSCAN8700.zip and VIRUSCANREPORTS.zip: these are the extensions. Extract these to a folder.

To check them in (in ePO 4.5) do the following:

Go to Menu - Software - Extensions

Click Install Extension

Browse to the folder containing the extensions and select VIRUSCAN8700.zip

Click OK

Click OK again

Then repeat this process for the VIRUSCANREPORTS extension. (For future reference this is described in the ePO 4.5 Product Guide on page 153.)

HTH -

Regards,

Joe

• 6. Re: Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?

I'm downloading it now.

Do I have do this for all updates?

I have also created an update schedule to install the hotfix patch 2 is this right?  So Extensions and then task?

• 7. Re: Virus scanner using lots of CPU on server, how can I stop this?
                      JoeBidgood

Gonzouk wrote:

I'm downloading it now.

Do I have do this for all updates?

No, not all updates or patches contain updated extensions: however when they do you will need to check them in. Check the readme or HTML help file that comes with each package if you're unsure.

I have also created an update schedule to install the hotfix patch 2 is this right?  So Extensions and then task?

Yes, that's correct.

Regards -

Joe