Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
36062 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2009 1:22 PM by peter_eepc RSS
Newcomer 4 posts since
Nov 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2009 4:32 PM

"SafeBoot has been corrupted (error 92h)

Upon boot up I get: "SafeBoot has been corrupted (error 92h)"

This is how I got there.

I had a dual boot machine: a SafeBooted Windows partition and a Linux partition.

I then re-installed Linux, and it clobbered the MasterBootRecord, specifically the first 446 bytes of this 512 byte MBR.

Booting the machine would boot successfully into Linux.

Knowing that I erroneously clobbered the MBR, I got clever and took the 446 byte MBR of another SafeBooted machine

and clobbered my MBR with it.

(hoping the first 446 bytes is just a SafeBoot boot loader program with no

association with the computer that it was on or anything else.)

Now when I boot up, I get a black screen with the above message of:

"SafeBoot has been corrupted (error 92h)"

Regardless how I got here, what are the exact instructions that i can relay to

my HelpDesk people (who have all the SafeBoot repair disks, code of the day, etc.)

so that i can "repair" the first 446 bytes of my MBR.

(the partition table is intact and correct. The encrypted Windows partition, & the Linux partitions

are also intact)

Thank you.

• peter_eepc Master 2,282 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    1. Nov 9, 2009 6:21 PM (in response to gmoore7777)
    Re: "SafeBoot has been corrupted (error 92h)

Provide SafeBoot error code (92h), they know that Emergency Boot procedure needs to follow.

• HS3 McAfee Mentor 17 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    3. Nov 10, 2009 5:33 AM (in response to gmoore7777)

Here you go..

Refer the KB article (ERROR: Corrupted error 92h (reported during pre-boot start up) (KB61116) ) for instrustions to perform the emergency boot.  Open this article from mcafee knowledge base at https://kc.mcafee.com

Sep 10, 2009
    5. Nov 10, 2009 8:02 AM (in response to gmoore7777)

Using SafeTech utility and exported machine object SDB file is possible to rewrite MBR completely. You can either place EEPC MBR or original MBR. There are choices for both.

• SafeBoot Group Leader 8,594 posts since
    Oct 28, 2008
    6. Nov 11, 2009 12:03 AM (in response to gmoore7777)

It's as you say the partition table, and a boot loader with the unique sector address of the next phase of the boot process.

it's not possible to work that sector address out - you have to know what it is, and it will be unique for every activation.

Heisenberg is pulled over for speeding: “Do you know how fast you were going?” the police officer asks, incredulously. “No,” replies Heisenberg, “but I know exactly where I am!”
    Personal Blog : http://mcaf.ee/simon | Corporate Blog : http://SIBlog.mcafee.com | Create your own safe, short URL's - http://mcaf.ee

Sep 10, 2009
    8. Nov 11, 2009 1:27 PM (in response to gmoore7777)

Evidently the MBR got fixed once Windows was booted up.(possibily during the Synchronize step)

SafeBoot, while Windows is up, must copy that secret glue piece to its respective slot in the MBR

This is probably the only point that SafeBoot could possibly do this fixing of the MBR.

It can't really fix the MBR, with just the SafeBoot utility program running. (as nothing is decrypted at that point)

Comments?

This is exactly the way Emergency Boot works. In addition to MBR, there is also SBFS file in partition file system. That is where most of code, configuration and audit is stored. Obviously SBFS is so much easier to be manipulated when OS and network are running.

Message was edited by: peter_eepc on 11/11/09 12:27 PM

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points