1 2 3 4 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2010 1:42 PM by feedkarma

Virus help please - cannot scan anything

I am on Windows XP, IE 6, and I forget which version of Mcafee Security Center (last years - it's time to renew) and I always keep it updated.

Several symptoms going on.  I cannot launch a scan.  I get "Cannot start on-demand scan" or something like that. I tried downloading the software again (letting it uninstall and reinstall itself).  The Virtual Technician doesn't find anything wrong.  While installing the new Mcafee, a message told me to reboot (I tried this several times), and upon rebooting, an ugly red box popped up about a blah blah services.exe error and the system would shut down in 60 seconds with a countdown.  Mcafee never acted like it did anything unless I rebooted, and would never scan.

I had the msa.exe virus, which I may or may not have cleaned off, and the b.exe virus also.  I also see csrss.exe running, although I don't know if it's the bad guy or not (I've seen that there is a real csrss.exe that is part of Windows, that can become infected.)

Adaware will not install and run correctly.

Antispyware Removal Tool #1 ran most of the way through, told me to reboot to finish, and then never finished.  (I think a trojan was hikacking)

SDFix will start to run and will not finish.

Please tell me what you need from me to help, or what I should do next.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next