4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 5:25 PM by waltm134

How can I disable/remove all local On-Demand Scans on client PC's.

So I've got the clients managed and have an On-Demand Scan running via a policy, but now I need to find a way to delete all the On-Demand scans that were created on the workstation without having to touch each PC.  Is there something in ePO that can do that for me?  A registry change?

• 1. Re: How can I disable/remove all local On-Demand Scans on client PC's.
          wwarren

This cannot be done via ePO without some assistance. i.e. the only way ePO can do it is by including a customized SuperDAT package into the update repository, where the SueprDAT package is designed to delete those tasks. Clients would retrieve the package on their next update, and it would then delete those tasks.

To disable a locally configured task, all that is required is to delete the corresponding {GUID}.ini file for the task, found in the McAfee Agent's Tasks folder.  The .ini file is what the McAfee Agent uses to determine running the task. The task will still display in the local VirusScan Console, but it will no longer run at its scheduled time.

If the user opened the task in the VirusScan Console, made a change and saved it again, then the task would once again be scheduled to run (the {GUID}.ini file gets recreated).

So, if you want to remove any existence of the task you must remove the {GUID}.INI file _and_ delete the task's registry information, found under:

HKLM\Software\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks\{GUID}.

McAfee Support has assisted customers in removing these .INI files and registry keys before, but if you have the means to do this yourself (outside of ePO) then it would be equally effective.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I disable/remove all local On-Demand Scans on client PC's.

Hi William,

Is there some documentation on creating that customized SuperDAT?

Thanks!

on 11/10/09 7:51 AM
            • 3. Re: How can I disable/remove all local On-Demand Scans on client PC's.
              wwarren

The scripting language for SuperDAT packages is not documented, sorry. McAfee intends the tool to only be used for creating DAT and/or Engine update packages, and for the latter it's limited to 32-bit systems. It has so much more potential

Any custom scripting would have to be done by McAfee Support. I mentioned before that Support has helped customers do this before so you shouldn't have any trouble with a valid support contract.

• 4. Re: How can I disable/remove all local On-Demand Scans on client PC's.

I had a similar problem and resorted to a .reg file to run on all the machines to remove the keys from the registry to remove the related tasks as the previous reply states.  You can deploy thru Login script or third party management tool.