7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 5:45 PM by UofTguy

Attn: McAfee Tech Support - Windows 7 / 64 bit, McAfee takes forever to scan

Hello,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 / 64 bit on my machine.  At the same time I installed McAfee Total Protection 2010.  McAfee started its first scan of me 320 GB hard drive last night (approximately 18 hrs) ago and is only on 52%.  I set my PC to never sleep so I know that its has been running all night.

I've run the McAfee Virtual Technician as per directions I found on another post (pasted below). It found nothing wrong. MY SESSION ID IS 21706817.  Can someone from McAfee tech support pls tell me what is going on?  I'm hoping this is taking long just because it is the first scan.

"Can you try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician and check if you are able to find any problem with the McAfee Products installed on the computer. To run the McAfee Virtual Technician please follow the instructions provided below:

Steps:
      1. Click on the following link https://us.mcafee.com/root/mvtapp.exe now you would get a file download security warning click on save and save it to the desktop.
      2. Now click on ‘Run’ on the next window which would open the McAfee Virtual Technician.
      3. Click on ‘Continue’ which would give you the End User License Agreement click on ‘I Agree’.
      4. Now the McAfee Virtual Technician would start scanning your computer.
      5. Once the scanning is done on the top right corner you would have the Session ID make a note of it.
      6. Now if it gives you an ‘Auto Fix’ option please go-ahead and try to resolve the issue or if it gives any message make a note of it.
      Now please give us the Session ID so that we can have a look at the information.

Thanks,
      OJ"