3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 4:44 PM by Grif

Update now doesn't launch updating window on VSE 8.7i

On one machine, using the "Update Now..." command, doesn't launch the window that shows the status of the update.

Have uninstalled, then re-installed (VSE P1 repost, Patch 2, HF517265) and the problem remains.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Update now doesn't launch updating window on VSE 8.7i
          wwarren

You'll want to verify that UDaterUI.exe or UpDaterUI.exe (depends on Agent version) is a running process.

This process controls the display of that status window.

If not a running process, log off and on again (the process launches at logon).

If it is a running process and still no status window - log off and on anyway, to force a new instance of the process to be created.

And if it's still behaving the same, you could make sure you have the latest version of the Agent...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Update now doesn't launch updating window on VSE 8.7i

Thanks for that info. Has helped me investigate further.

UDaterUI.exe is not a running process, even though it is launched upon startup. Manually running it also didn't make it appear as a process.

Using Procmon, I discovered that it checked the following key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\NoUpdaterUI , which was set to 1 on this machine.

Changed that back to 0 and tried an update again - and the UI turns up.

Not sure what caused that to go to 1, but glad it's now showing again.

Thanks again for your advice+guidance.

• 3. Re: Update now doesn't launch updating window on VSE 8.7i

Mal09,

Malware can create such registry key issues.. Have you do a full system scan with a different antispyware scanner just to get a "second opinion"? It might be worth your time as there are a number of good scanners available for free. There are also a couple of good online scanners that are worth a try as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Message was edited by: Grif on 11/7/09 3:44 PM