1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2009 3:51 AM by gloriousglenn RSS

McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

I am running VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i on a Windows Vista Business platform.  It is a standalone PC, not connected to a network/ePO.

The shield icon shows in the system tray with a red circle with a red line through it.  If I hover over the shield it shows "McAfee OAS: disabled".  If I right click on the shield and choose "Enable On-Access Scan", the red circle disappears for about 5 seconds and then reappears again.

This also causes an error within Windows Security Alerts stating that McAfee is turned off!  If I click on the "Turn on now" button, nothing happens!

Does anybody have any idea on how I can sort this out?

• 1. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

Can you advise what patch level of vse 8.5 you are running

• 2. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

Installed Patches: None

I have looked but I can't find where I can download the patches from

• 3. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

The patches are only available from the Mcafee business downloads section with a grant number thats provided to licenced customers, you need to obtain the VSE patch 8 from the licence holder of your installation.

As some incentive VSE 8.5 with no patches ran so badly that patch 1 was released urgently afterwards, If you cant get a patch above at least 6 I would recommend you look at another scanner as the base level software will not be doing a good job and will be thrashing your PC.

• 4. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

You definitely want to be on Patch 8 if using VSE 8.5i.

For the symptom you report, whenever the on-access scanner is failing - whatever the circumstance - you can inspect the Application Event log for "McLogEvent" entries.

If there are "McLogEvent" entries with an event ID higher than 5000 then that is indicative of a problem. The details of the event will give further clues as to what the problem is.

You could then search the knowledgebase for more info on the event ID or the message in the Event details, or post it here

• 5. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

Ok, well I have a grant number and all that, but I still can't seem to find where I can download this patch!  Treat me like I'm an idiot (no comments please!!), could you point me to where the latest patch is that I need please.  Struggling here!!

• 6. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

Login to https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/my_products/login.asp with your grant #.

Once you are viewing the products available,click on the version of VSE you have.

Once you agree to the terms, click on the patches tab.

VSE 8.5 P8.zip is available.

• 7. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

go here: http://www.mcafee.com/uk/enterprise/downloads/index.html

then choose the My Products download software login link

put in your valid grant ( dont forget the -NAI on the end) and submit

depending on what products you have you will now have some lind of link "view avialable downloads"

look in endpoint security section choose virusscan enterprise

agree to terms and conditions

choose patches tab

choose VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 8

it will download, then unzip it and install as an admin user

if you are missing some tabs somewhere try changing the browser you are using, works for me under FF3.6 and ie8

• 8. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

I'm not sure Patch 8 will solve it. I would try the following:

Disable Access Protection: (VirusScan Console, Access Protection, Stop)

Stop the McAfee Agent, Start>Run>services.msc

Stop "McAfee Common Framework"

If it won't stop then access protection has turned itself back on so go and stop that again, then stop common framework.

1. Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.
                        2. Select the following registry key:

3. In the right pane, double-click ImagePath (REG_SZ) and change the Value data from system32\drivers\*.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers\*.sys
                        4. Repeat this for all McAfee services with incomplete ImagePath (REG_SZ) settings.

These services are all named using the same format:

Where xxxx is the name for the relevant service.
                        5. Close the registry editor.

All the services that start with MFE and have imagepath as system32\**** need changing

• 9. Re: McAfee OAS: Disabled problem

Thats all very well stuart but he SHOULD be on the latest patch v8, VSE patch 0 is abysmal and I would not wish it on anyone.

Once he has updated we can see if the issue persists and if its related to the filter drivers.

1 2 Previous Next