5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 11:48 AM by GWIRT

Deploying agent from the Evaluation Branch?

Hi,

I have an ePO server 4.0 and we have deployed ePO agent 3.6 and VirusScan 8.5 to most of our workstations and servers.

I some cases, this gives us problems like:

1. VirusScan 8.0 and VirusScan 8.5 both installed (uninstall of 8.0 failed)

2. VirusScan 8.0 uninstalled but 8.5 not installed (in some cases because of language pack that cannot be found, allthough it is installed on the ePO-server)

3. VirusScan installed, but not in computer properties on ePO-server (not even after wakeup agent with full properties)

Now I read somewhere in this community that agent 3.6 gives a lot of problems with Viruscan 8.5 and that it is better to use agent 4.0

On the ePO-server I have 3.6 in current branch and agent 4.0 in evaluation branch

I tried to install epo-agent 4.0 with a deployment task but this does not seem to work. Is this because it is in the evaluation branch?

I am also using the /forceinstall option

donderdag 5 november 2009 8:49:56
      Info
      Script
      Initializing update...
      donderdag 5 november 2009 8:49:56
      Info
      Script
      Verifying catalog.z.
      donderdag 5 november 2009 8:49:57
      Info
      Script
      Extracting catalog.z.
      donderdag 5 november 2009 8:49:57
      Info
      Script
      Loading update configuration from: Catalog.xml
      donderdag 5 november 2009 8:49:58
      Info
      Script
      Update Finished
      Info
      Script
      Closing the update session.
      Info
      Scheduler
      The task Deployment is successful
      Info
      Scheduler
      Scheduler: Task [Deployment] is finished

The agent log shows that the task was successfull

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

• 1. Re: Deploying agent from the Evaluation Branch?

Hello Lieven,

the 3.6 agent currently installed on all your workstations and server does not have the ability to install product packages (only dat and engine) from any other than the current branch. You can however push the agent 4.0 out to your environment through ePO, from the eval branch.

See also the readme/release notes for MA 4.0.

Hth,

Kontchr

• 2. Re: Deploying agent from the Evaluation Branch?

Hi Kontchr,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, allthough I am responsible for ePO & AntiVirus, I do not have the necessary priviliges on all workstations, nor do I have access to such a user. That is why pushing the agent will not work for me.

What would be the impact if I place the agent 3.6 in the previous branch and the agent 4.0 in the current branch? I would then be able to deploy using a deployment task, but what would be the impact on all systems still having the agent 3.6?

• 3. Re: Deploying agent from the Evaluation Branch?

Hello Lieven,

in this case your options are (very) limited. Once the agent 4.0 is in the current branch you can utilise a deployment task to roll it out. All your existing 3.6 agents will be upgraded to the agent 4.0 version you have checked into the master repository. Latest build for agent 4.0 is 4.0.0.1494 (Patch 3).

That would be the impact as far as I can see. Bear in mind though that also an update now on a local client or enabled global update can trigger deployment of software in the master repository.

Hth,

kontchr

• 4. Re: Deploying agent from the Evaluation Branch?

Global Updating is disabled and Deployment tasks are set to diabled. I would of course create a separate group for the upgrade to agent 4.0 and would move systems to that group if I want to upgrade them.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 5. Re: Deploying agent from the Evaluation Branch?
                  GWIRT

You can reference this thread for checking in multiple agents into the ePO Master Repository:

http://community.mcafee.com/message/96492#96492

Also, that agent is only sent out via a deployment task, not an update, so globacl updating and the "Update Now" option would not trigger an agent upgrade as it is an install package and not an update/upgrade.

1 of 1 people found this helpful