2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 2:18 PM by rrathbun

EPO 4.5 Installation / Take over existing v4.5 agents

My Situation:

I have a freshly built install of EPO 4.5 (manages nothing right now) and an old 4.0 EPO box with both online. Can I export the keys from the EPO 4.0 machine and simply take them all over without causing any problems?

New Servers

• One EPO 4.5 server - Windows 2008 Server under Hyper-V
      • One instance of SQL 2008 server - Windows 2008 Server under Hyper-V

Question #1

Other applications are using the same SQL server on different databases - any issues I may encounter?

Question #2

Has anyone successfully hardened their SQL installation using the DISA guides and EPO 4.5? If yes, did you run into any problems?

Old Server

• EPO 4.0 patch 4, with SQL Express 2005 (same server)
      • McAfee 4.5 Agents on all clients
      • McAfee 8.7i with patch 2 on all clients

Question #2

Can I export the keys from EPO 4.0 and import them into EPO 4.5 without causing any problems?

Question #3

I don't care about moving any policies from the old server to the new server, is that ok?

Comments appreciated!

p.s. I like the new forum look... Kudos McAfee!

• 1. Re: EPO 4.5 Installation / Take over existing v4.5 agents
          Sailendra Pamidi

Is your new server name same as the old ePO server? If not, the clients would ofcourse fail to communicate even after importing the keys from 4.0 server.

If the new server name is the same and you would disjoin the old ePO server before putting your new server online - this should work.

Alternatively, try creating a DNS Alias so that any queries to the old server would resolve to the new server. Once the agents try to connect with the old server, they would resolve to the new server and recieve an updated sitelist.xml containing the spipe entry for the new server.

If you do not have the custom policies on the new 4.5 server the agents would receive the McAfee default policy during their ASCI. So, make sure that you configure the 4.5 server with the appropriate policies before attempting the above.

All said, keep in mind that this is not an officially supported way of doing things.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EPO 4.5 Installation / Take over existing v4.5 agents

What is the officially supported method of doing this properly Sailendra?