7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 5:56 PM by opalsoft

UTM and TrustedSource

Hi @,

I know that UTM can use TrustedSource as a reputation service but I would like to know some more details about it.

What is mainly TS used for on UTM? Could UTM be used as a source of data for TS? If yes ahich information is sent by UTM to TS database?

• 1. Re: UTM and TrustedSource

Biskalar,

We've attached a document that includes all of the particulars on how McAfee's TrustedSource is included within UTM.

For example:

"Every time an incoming SMTP (email) connection request is received, McAfee UTM Firewall asks the TrustedSource data center for a reputation score for the source of the connection request. McAfee UTM Firewall then either accepts or rejects the connection based on the score—before the connection reaches your email server. This process alleviates approximately 80 percent of any spam processing your email servers may have otherwise needed to do."

Hope this helps!

Team McAfee at Ciphent

experts@ciphent.com

www.ciphent.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: UTM and TrustedSource

To summarize, currently UTM Firewall uses Trusted Source only in IP-reputation mode and only with smtp. This does provide data into the TS database.

We will be switching to using Trusted Source for URL-categorization as well as beefing up the smtp service to message (digest based) reputation in the next major release (5.0). The intent is to also provide generic IP-reputation filters integrated into firewall UI. eg. be able to express "block access to <port> if src-ip-reputation is below level-X".

That release will also address a current short-coming with the current TS service, which is that it does not preserve the src-address of the smtp originator. It is not 'transparent'. Which internal Spam filters tend not to like.

Cheers

tom

• 3. Re: UTM and TrustedSource

Thanks!

Great to hear that the small box will have such impresive features, unique even on much bigger boxes :-)

• 4. Re: UTM and TrustedSource

Hello,

Our IP is listed safe at the trustedsource.org. When I put the IP address to see the report, the graph still shows red line bars, which means hight risk. How can I get out of this red bar/high risk area? What I need to do? We have tightened our security, have bought the total protect software for our Sonicwall firewall. I don't know what to do next. I've attached the file containing the graph I see on the www.trustedsource.org.

Thanks,

OP

• 5. Re: UTM and TrustedSource

Hello,

Our IP is listed safe at the trustedsource.org. When I put the IP address to see the report, the graph still shows red line bars, which means hight risk. How can I get out of this red bar/high risk area? What I need to do? We have tightened our security, have bought the total protect software for our Sonicwall firewall. I don't know what to do next. I've attached the file containing the graph I see on the www.trustedsource.org.

Thanks,

OP

• 6. Re: UTM and TrustedSource

Hi OP,

FYI, your question is a pure TrustedSource question, nothing to do with UTM Firewall, so not usually something we'd discuss here.

That said, issues with TrustedSource ratings can be complained about directly here:

http://www.trustedsource.org/en/about/mailform?recipent=trustedsource

There currently isn't a specific community for TrustedSource yet. The Director responsible for TS is investigating that now.

If the above link doesn't work for you, please contact customer service or support and they should be able to help you.

Cheers

tom

• 7. Re: UTM and TrustedSource

Hello Tom,

Thanks very much. I sent an email through the link you sent. They have reset the IP to neutral category. Greatly appreciate your help.

OP