7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 6:08 AM by AHeinicke

ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?

Stu

Hat schon jemand Erfahrung damit einen ePO Server in einer virtuellen Umgebung zu produzieren? Würde mich intressieren da wir hier für die Migration von 4.0 nach 4.5 mit dem Gedanken spielen das ganze in einem virtuellen Cluster zu installieren.

Sorry - here the question again in english :-)

Does anyone have experiences on running an epo 4.0 or 4.5 Server in a virtual enviroment? Because we are in the migration plan phase and we think about running a 4.5 ePO Server in a clustered virtual enviroment so i would like to have some Information about running a virtual productive enviroment.

Thanks

Nachricht geändert durch Stu on 11/3/09 11:24 PM
        • 1. Re: ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?
          kthomas

Hi Stu

Some versions of ePO are supported in Virtual Environments. Our knowledgebase team have created a supported environments article for most of our key products including ePO. These types of articles supercede the documents that are created when the products are released.

Below is an extract from that article that will help you make the decision which version to use. For the full details please access the knowledgebase using the details provided

Article: KB51569 Supported environments for ePolicy Orchestrator on Microsoft Windows

Web: http://mysupport.mcafee.com

Type: Informational

All the best

Kevin Thomas
          Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services Team)

Virtual Infrastructure software versions
          Virtual software
          ePO 3.5
          ePO 3.6.0
          ePO 3.6.1
          ePO 4.0
          ePO 4.5
          VMware ESX Server 4
          EOL
          EOL
          No
          Yes**
          Yes*
          VMware ESX Server 3.5
          EOL
          EOL
          No
          Yes***
          Yes
          VMware ESX Server 3.0.x
          EOL
          EOL
          No
          Yes
          No
          VMware Workstation 5.0
          EOL
          EOL
          Yes
          No
          No
          Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 with SP1
          EOL
          EOL
          No
          Yes
          Yes
          Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V
          EOL
          EOL
          No
          No
          Yes
          Any other Virtual Software not listed
          EOL
          EOL
          No
          No
          No
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?
            kthomas

Hi Stu,

I have also found some relavent information in the knowledgebase (http://mysupport.mcafee.com) that you might also want to review. Only some versions of ePO support some versions of Microsoft Windows Cluster. below are some article that might be worth a review. For example Windows 2008 Cluster is only supported by ePO 4.5.

ePO 4.5

KB66103 - ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 Release Notes (Addendum)

ePO 4.0

KB52834 - Correction to the ePO 4.0 Installation Guide - Database considerations and Installing in a cluster environment sections
            KB51448 - ePO 4.0 Known Issues - Cluster Installation

ePO 4.5, 4.0 and 3.6.1

KB65460 - Product statement - Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Cluster
            PD21842 - McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 Cluster Installation Guide

Kevin Thomas
            Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services Team)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?
              Stu

Hi kthomas,

thanks so far  - the informationen was good and i took a look on all of it.

This will help to decide what is the best way to run the ePo Enviroment.

I would still like to know if there is anyone out there who is running a epo 4.5 in an 2008 HyperV Enviroment.

The Idee is to use a HyperV Clustered System to make it easier with Backup and Recovery - Disaster recovery and such Things - even HA is maybe easier to establish.

• 4. Re: ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?
                kthomas

Hi Stu,

From my position in the KnowledgeBase team, that is difficult to find out. However I am hoping that those who monitor the community and its threads will have some additional input. In the mean time I am going to email some good colleague in the US office to see if they can provide some additional information to assist you.

Kevin
                Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)

• 5. Re: ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?

Hello,

is there support for ePO 4.5 running in a virtuozzo container ( www.parallels.com) or does someone use it in production in such a environment?

bye

Andreas

• 6. Re: ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?

amoroder wrote:

Hello,

is there support for ePO 4.5 running in a virtuozzo container ( www.parallels.com) or does someone use it in production in such a environment?

bye

Andreas

You might want to check with McAfee personnel through the chat or may be just try to install it on a test machone to see how it works

I ddint see any thing mentioned the support of ePO 45 on ESX 4.1 or later I might guess that the wording is unforuntate poor on the KB

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51569

• 7. Re: ePO 4.0 / 4.5 in virtueller Umgebung ?

Hi, ESX nutzten wir schon mit 3.6.1, jetzt 4.5 und 4.6 - klappt fabelhaft.

Umschwenken macht er ohne Ärger mit, wie wir heute morgen wieder getestet haben ;-)