4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 7:57 PM by KenAtSg

Can an application update to a locked vault?

Hi,

Am evaluating whether this product can safeguard our company data.

I have an application that update a text file. If the my laptop is stolen, would the thief be able to read the content of the file?

Essentially, a few questions need to be answered:
      1. Do I need to unlock the vault so that my application can update the text file?
      2. If I forgot to lock the vault back and my laptop get stolen, does it mean that my text file will readable to all?
      3. What if I forgot the password and the answers to the 3 security questions? What do I need to do to retrieve the content of my file.

Thanks for helping.
        • 1. RE: Can an application update to a locked vault?
          1. Yes, you need to unlock the Vault so that applications can access files stored within it. If the Vault is locked, nothing can access the contents

2. The Vaults lock themselves on shutdown\reboot.

3. If you forget the Password AND the answers to the 3 chosen security questions, there is no way to access the contents.
          • 2. Vault be in Unlock State if Windows crash?
            Hi Brookz,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a few more questions.

> 2. The Vaults lock themselves on shutdown\reboot (if it was unlock)
            I assume the Vault will remain in unlocked state if Windows were to crash for whatever reasons. Would that be so?
            That means the content can be read off the hard disk using another machine, for example.

> 3. If you forget the Password AND the answers to the 3 chosen security questions, there is no way to access the contents.
            Does McAfee provide a service to retrieve the data or reset the password for such cases?

Thanks.
            • 3. RE: Vault be in Unlock State if Windows crash?
              2. The Vault should lock on a Windows Crash. I can't make Windows Crash, but the closest thing is pulling the power while it's running.

I tested this and the Vaults locked themselves.

3. We have no way of recovering a forgotten password other then with the Security Questions.
              • 4. Thanks
                Hi Brook,

Thanks for your patience in replying my questions.

Kenneth