3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 6:43 AM by Peter M

McAfee Shredder

I recently had issues with McAfee and was forced to reinstall it. Before the reinstall I was able to right-click on my recycle bin and shred it. Since the reinstall I've lost that option. I would like the option back.

I run WinXP SP2
      I also have ZoneAlarm, although while McAfee tells me that they conflict with each other, I find that they work quite well together.
        • 1. RE: McAfee Shredder
          Peter M
          You must have had an older version as that is no longer a feature. However you can still shred the Recycle bin contents only if you wish. From the help files.....

Shred files and folders[/B]

You can shred files and folders from your computer's hard drive, including items in your Recycle Bin and in your Temporary Internet Files folder.

1. Open Shredder. How?
            [LIST=1]
          2. On the McAfee SecurityCenter pane, under Common Tasks, click Advanced Menu.
          3. On the left pane, click Tools.
          4. Click Shredder.

[*]On the Shred files and folders pane, under I want to, click Erase files and folders.
          [*]Under Shredding Level, click one of the following shredding levels:

• Quick: Shreds the selected item(s) once.
          • Comprehensive: Shreds the selected item(s) 7 times.
          • Custom: Shreds the selected item(s) up to 10 times.

[*]Click Next.
          [*]Do one of the following:

• In the Select file(s) to shred list, click either Recycle Bin contents or Temporary Internet files.
          • Click Browse, navigate to the file that you want to shred, select it, and then click Open.

[*]Click Next.
          [*]Click Start.
          [*]When Shredder finishes, click Done.
          [/LIST]

• 2. Re: McAfee Shredder

I cannot figure out how to USE the shredder.   After choosing "complete" shred type, it only has a 'cancel' button.  I've read where it says to select the 'next' button.... not there.  What am I doing wrong?!  Thank you.

Message was edited by: gcaide on 9/1/10 9:08:17 PM GMT-06:00
            • 3. Re: McAfee Shredder
              Peter M

You can configure it by clicking the symbol to the right of that section in the utilities.

Capture.JPG