1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 8:08 AM by Peter M

An error occurred while updating Reinstall mcafee

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with this situation. My Mcafee icon popped up and told me my computer is not protected, I click on it and it tells me the detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old. It then tells me to click here to fix the problem. After a few seconds a window pops up and tells me an error occurred while updating please reinstall these programs. Mcafee Total Protection. I did, twice, and both times everything was great for about a week and then the same thing again. I am running XP and use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. I just recovered from a generic proxy!m trojan that tried to mess up some things, it was more of an inconvenience than anything. You guys really helped me with that and I appreciate it. Any suggestion on this situation. Thanks.
        • 1. RE: An error occurred while updating Reinstall mcafee
          Peter M
          XP SP3 I hope? Check that your system clock is accurate.

First, enable Windows Firewall to provide you some protection.

Check for spyware/,alware using the free version of these two tools, update them before running and let them remove anything they find.

http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If that fails then try running the MCPR removal tool linked in my signature & reboot and retry.

If it indicates that it was unsuccessful run it again and reboot then retry.

Another thing that sometimes helps, assuming you have either IE7 or 8 installed (you should have 8 even if you don't use it) - go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK any prompts and click Apply and OK.
          Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable the add-ons.

McAfee relies on an up to date IE working at its default settings even if it's not your default browser.