Please confirm the following,
What is the computer’s operating system?
What is computer’s Internet connection (DSL, Cable. .. )?
Do you have any other antivirus installed on the computer ?
I have Windows XP. I have dial-up for an internet connection. And I don't have any other anti-virus program.
If you are still facing the issue, please confirm the following;
Have you made any recent changes for the computer?
Run the mcafee virtual technician from the following link http://mvt.mcafee.com and post me with the session id.
I'm having the same problem as the OP on my wife's laptop. We have Windows XP SP3, a cable modem, and no other virus protection programs. Have McAfee Security Center 9.15. Last update was 11/11/09 and last scan was 11/7/09 - no infected files.
After this started I saw it might be an incompatibility with Windows Defender so I uninstalled it but no help there.
I'm running Microsoft Maliscious Software Removal Tool and just ran MVT - Session ID was 21813486 - said it found 2 problems and fixed one. The one that couldn't be fixed was 1 service that wasn't running.
Could you tell us what Email software and which IM you are using?
Don't use any IM programs. E-mail on that machine is purely web based - no Outlook, Lotus, etc.
Try the following steps.
1. Check & delete if you have any third party security softwares in control panel , or third party security software folders in C:/program files or common files,
2. Start – run >> then type services.msc –> It will open up the Services (Local) window,
3. The ‘start up type’ for all the mcafee services in the list should be automatic, if not double click on the service which is not in automatic & change the start up type to automatic.,
4. Click recovery tab (at the top) change all the three failures to “restart the service” click Apply & Ok ,
5. Close all open programs & restart the computer,
6. Open security center & check for updates.
Mcafee Online community Moderator