Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
64095 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2009 3:53 PM by Ex_Brit RSS
Newcomer 1 posts since
Sep 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 26, 2009 12:05 PM

McUICnt.exe and other files

The other day, I had a number of installed file alerts come up that said they were from McAfee but looked peculiar. They were followed by a notice that McAfee needs to reboot the computer for installation. In the years I've had McAfee products, I can't recall ever having to do a reboot to install their products after an auto install or update.

The two files are
McUICnt.exe installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MSC
McSmtFwk.exe installed in C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSN

I notice there is also an MSC directory in C:/Program Files/McAfee/MSC so I wonder what is the difference between the two?

I ran it by the internet chat with McAfee techs who after some length of time indicated this is not a McAfee program and that I need to contact their virus removal team. I wasn't 100% satisfied or comfortable with this answer so

Is this something I should be concerned about?

I appreciate any help and comments!
RonW
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,609 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Sep 26, 2009 5:32 PM (in response to ronaldw)
    RE: McUICnt.exe and other files
    It probably upgraded to a newer version, that's all I can assume. I've known it happen periodically.

What kind of alerts were these, from what application?

The easiest way to check all is OK is to oepn Security Center and ensure it says "Protecting".

You could also run the Virtual Technician linked in my signature to check that everything is installed OK.

Note this applies to home products only.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-3-62127/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Newcomer 4 posts since
    Oct 31, 2009
    I don't use McAfee, and this has never popped up before .until about 5 minutes ago.
    I'm running WinXP Pro with all security updates.to date.

I had JUST finished a full anti-malware system scan using the very latest malware
    data update with NO reported exposures,

I believe what follows is what caused this pop-up to now start appearing.

I visited YouTube and was told I had to upgrade to the newest Adobe Flash Player.
    I did so and noticed that in the information associated with DLing the player, that some
    element of McAfee "scanning" software would be used during the DownLoad of the
    upgrade. I ASSUMED it would be a temporary facilitating bit of software and be
    deleted after I finished the DownLoad.

However, it is my opinion that Downloading the Adobe Firefox Flash Player add-on
    MUST have installed this McAfee program permanently on my computer
    WITHOUT MY EXPLICIT KNOWLEDGE.OR PERMISSION.

I don't accept that there was sufficient warning in that information panel that
    McAfee would now apparently be permanently installed and active at ALL TIMES.

I now have to determine how to delete this McAfee scanner because it is
    the experience of MANY users and Anti-virus/Anti-malware experts, that
    installing more than one of the same type ACTIVE anti-virus/anti-malware program
    can lead to many problems with a computer including continuing effective security,
    and impacting performance. I ALREADY HAVE a comprehensive security environment
    on the affected computer, and this "scanner" may be compromising the security of my
    computer..

McAfee Security Scan DID come with an uninstaller. For whatever reason, I either didn't
    see it or it did not show up in add/remove programs until yet another re-boot. Now the
    question remains if I remove it, will it screw-up the latest Adobe Flash Player? Does
    AFP require the "McAfee Security Scan" to be installed in order to work?

McAfee should not have permanently installed a security program OF ANY KIND on my
    computer without my express permission, unless it was made clear that it would be a
    permanent install IN ADDITION TO the target Adobe Flash Player update.

I'll be certain to warn people I know about what I consider a bad practice forced on the user
    by Adobe/McAfee.

Edit to add:
    I will be exceedingly tickced-off if it turns out that YouTube and/or Adobe Flash Player
    now REQUIRES this McAfee security "scanning" element. It is neither wanted nor
    appreciated, and may compromise system security by interfering with my existing
    anti-malware program suite. It does come with an uninstaller.

Edit to add:
    Uninstaller FAILS to remove McUICnt.exe
    I ran the Windows Add/Remove uninstaller entry for "McAfee Security Scan"
    and it reported it completed successfully. However, using explorer it shows that
    "McUICnt.exe" file REMAINS in
    "C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\1.0.150\mcuicnt.exe"
    AND
    "MCUICNT.EXE-30887455.pf" REMAINS in
    "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCUICNT.EXE-30887455.pf"
    (I double-checked and VERIFIED that it was installed at the same time I ran the Adobe Flash Player update)
    May 6, 2004

If you checked the downloader or the Adobe website you would have seen the option to uncheck that item (click the attached thumbnail to see what I mean).

You should see a McAfee entry in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP) or Programs/Uninstall a Programs (Vista/Windows 7) where you can uninstall it.

It's not a huge program, merely a form of online security scanner.

If that fails then run the MCPR removal tool http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507 .
    Attachments:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-3-62127/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
  • Newcomer 4 posts since
    Oct 31, 2009
    First off, I really appreciate the fast response and providing the alternate method to remove the unwanted "McUICnt" programs.

Yes, I did check the box, but it was not clearly presented as an optoin at the time I ran the update. It made it look like it was required to facilitate the update download and ensure it proceeded correctly.
    It made it look like if I didn't use that option, proper functioning of the update woud not be assured.

The "McAfee Security Scan" program was provided in the same window that indicated what should be downloaded. I manually noted that in my updates log specifically because it wasn't clear and I was worried about future security program conflicts.

For that reason I assumed it was a program that would likely execute before the update was started and it would check that the update was not already installed and/or corrupted and/or something important (like a co-dependency) had already had been compromised and/or would verify that other co-dependent programs (if any) existed and were in place before downloading and executing the Adobe Flash Player update......and then gracefully remove itself.

As you will see in my 2nd edit above, when I ran the add/remove programs uninstaller, the "McUICnt" files were NOT removed. Since I backed-up my system just 2 days ago I'll try your MCPR program assuming that the only thing it does is delete all the "stuff" associated with McUICnt.

Not impressed at all with the whole way this update was handled just so I could download the Adobe Flash Player update. I don't care how small the program is, I don't want it on my computer!.

May 6, 2004
    You could try Start/Search and search for McUICnt and delete all references, or even search within the regustry for it.

We've voiced our strong criticism of this already with McAfee management and it "has been noted".

Unfortunately these days marketing seems to have sway over common sense.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
  • Newcomer 4 posts since
    Oct 31, 2009
    I went to the MCPR removal tool webpage and found this

IMPORTANT: If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of your computer, ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before uninstalling. Reinstalling from a CD or download only installs your McAfee consumer applications, but might not recover your paid subscription term information.

This system came pre-configured with McAfee Security products which I removed over a year ago.

It's hard to believe that before a user executes this removal tool (for any reason) the user apparently has to renew his McAfee subscription? That makes NO sense at all. But, I'm not going to assume anything here.

Does this mean it is unsafe to run the special MCPR removal tool on my system? Did the programmers ensure that if doesn't find something that it expects to find, it doesn't start executing unplanned modules and screw things up?

BTW, that wouldn't be the first time that a removal program goes nuts because of poor programming when it encounters an unexpected error condition.

It seems to be suggesting that the only reason someone would ever remove the McAfee programs is so they can re-install them. The warning APPEARS to suggest you only have to re-activate your subscription if you plan to reinstall...but this is not clear by any means and I'm not going to make another assumption when it comes to McAfee software install/uninstall situation. I prefer to just be burned once, thank you..
    May 6, 2004
    Of course you don't need to do that. The download link for the removal tool is right there on the page.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
  • Newcomer 4 posts since
    Oct 31, 2009
    8. Oct 31, 2009 3:32 PM (in response to Ex_Brit)
    Execution of MCPR.exe
    Thanks very much for verifying what I assumed was meant.

I didn't have a problem with finding and downloading the MCPR tool, the problem was with USING the tool given the very strongly but un-definitively worded warning.

IMPORTANT:[/b] If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of your computer, ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before uninstalling. Reinstalling from a CD or download only installs your McAfee consumer applications, but might not recover your paid subscription term information.

I would suggest this modification to the "IMPORTANT" warning. (Changes in italics). and McAfee may want to add to it regarding what happens if the re-install does fail to recover the subscription information. Here, I assumed worst-case that the customer would have to buy another license, but if McAfee has a way to work around the case if the subscription info wasn't recovered (for whatever reason) then perhaps that should be mentioned instead..

(If you do not plan to re-subscribe to the McAfee Security tools and/or you already attempted ro remove the McAfee security product and add/remove didn't uninstall all parts of the McAfee security product(s), then you can just run the MCPR tool to remove those remainig pieces, However,)

IMPORTANT:[/b] If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of your computer (and you plan to keep or re-activate your McAfee Security tools subscription,) ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before uninstalling. Reinstalling from a CD or download only installs your McAfee consumer applications, but might not recover your paid subscription term information. (If it does fail to recover your subscription information, you may have to pay for another subscription. )

Thanks
    May 6, 2004
    9. Oct 31, 2009 3:53 PM (in response to ExPacifica)
    RE: Execution of MCPR.exe
    Point taken. Account issue are all dealt with by Customer Service and I am sure noone would be expected pay twice.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)