2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 11:50 AM by sasnakra1949

Real-Time scanning interfering with Games Explorer

I recently started having problems opening Vista Games Explorer. It takes several minutes to open, and is often sluggish after that as well.

Tonight I noticed that during this time, mcshield.exe was taking over one of my cores. Wondering if SecurityCenter was to blame, I disabled real-time scanning for 15 minutes. Vista Game Explorer instantly loaded up.

Did something change recently that might have affected the functioning of this Windows component? Is there a way to exempt Games Explorer from being scanned?

I would reinstall McAfee, but want some kind of assurance that it will do me any good to do so. Any info on this issue is appreciated.
        • 1. RE: Real-Time scanning interfering with Games Explorer
          I am getting this problem as well. When I open the games explorer it takes ages (at least a minute) to load. I also get this when launching some games from Steam.

When I look at the task manager I see Mcshield.exe using up at least 1 whole core on my machine. If I have Mcafee open when the games explorer is hanging and I stop the real time scanner then suddenly the games explorer loads.

This has only happened in the last month or so.
          • 2. Re: RE: Real-Time scanning interfering with Games Explorer

Hello, I upgraded McAfee in mid September and have had continous problems with McShield.exe hogging the CPU 100%.

Read through this and see if it applies in your case on multiple cores.

Repeat: Problem found, work around below.

Problem: McShield.exe consumes 100% of CPU for long periods of time (>1 hour).

Work around:
              a. Invoke McAfee Security Center to feed McShield a "cookie" aka cookie monster. (This work around is less than optimal as it degrades over time.)
            b. Search for McAfee anti-spam file error logs, (there are four of them). When found, delete the error logs in these files.( Over time, repeat as necessary.)

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS
            Install
            mcinst
            mcmscsvc
            MskSrver

Comments: On inspection the logs are "forever logs" that accumulate reports on all errors  encountered by the various McAfee modules. Four modules have log files, these log files appear to "carry over" when an upgrade or a relicense is performed. Inspection of the dates on the logged errors show dates from the first installation up to the current run time. Note that the three machines I have examined all have the same symptoms of 100% CPU consumption and all three cleared up when the files in question were eliminated. The files appear to be diagnostic in nature and would be used by programmers to determine what failed, when it failed and in what module it failed for the McAfee modules.

It appears that McShield processes these logs on every system startup and on every system return from standby. This effect is what causes the consumption of 100% of CPU for extended periods.

A suggestion for a rapid work around would be a simple program that downloads to the user computer, targets these files and moves or deletes them from the error logging that is being processed by McShield.exe.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
            Note that the Customer Service does not understand this problem and denies it exists.

Intake Tier wanted to re-install McAfee.
            Tier 2 claims my machines are virus impaired and wanted me to visit the McAfee Virus Removal team.
            Tier 1 wants to educate me on how viruses get onto machines.

Everything recommened by Customer Service avoids addressing the McShield.exe problem...actions just work to cover it up. This is a systemic McAfee Organizational problem reflected in the inablilty to admit a problem and fix same.

sasnakra1949

delete the contents of the McAfee "error log" files

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS

Install

mcinst

mcmscsvc

MskSrver