1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 12:53 PM by Peter M

automatic update tool

After an unexpected shutdown, Microsoft came up with the following solution--"To solve this problem, you will need to run the automatic update tool that comes with my McAfee product ". Go on-line to learn how to use this tool.
      I didn't find the solution on-line.

Can anybody help me?

I am running Vista Premium-SP1; ram 2.00GB;McAfee 3-user Total Protection ( pre installed with my Dell laptop );File System NTFS; Broadband connection and I am in the UK.
        • 1. RE: automatic update tool
          Peter M
          Right-click the taskbar icon and select Updates.

I've never seen that reaction before personally.
          • 2. dadco
            Thank you.
            I am trying to reproduce the message

It will not paste-pity.
            The heading of the message :-
            " Run the McAfee update tool to fix this problem "

" This problem was caused by a Mcfee product which was created by McAfee, Inc. "

I have done what you said. My Laptop is on auto update and is done on a regular basis.

Thank you for you help-------------a fairly new experience for me.
            • 3. RE: dadco
              Peter M
              Well if updating manually fails to stop the warning try the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
              If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
              • 4. dadco
                ok and thank you. Very good service.
                • 5. RE: dadco
                  Peter M
                  You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.
                  • 6. Article not recognised!
                    I sought the article you suggest but McAFEE says not recognised. Help!
                    • 7. RE: Article not recognised!
                      Peter M
                      Article? You mean the MCPR removal tool link? It works fine for me. Then try this: either click the link for it in my signature or click the Technical Support Chat link to speak with a real support Technician live.
                      • 8. uk
                        In my opening question I said that I am from the UK.
                        Does this make any difference to recognising your link to the MCPR.exe?
                        • 9. RE: uk
                          Peter M
                          It should make no difference where you are.

I'll try attaching it for you.
                          1 2 Previous Next