4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 11:57 AM by Natnat

Problem with KGB Keylogger and Mc Afeee Security Center

Hello everybody,

I'm new in this forum and this is my problem :

I had viruses in my computer. All has been reinstalled.
      Unfortunately, I've got the old presention of Mc Afee Security Center again (not the new one with a "M" like a target ...just a M in a square).
      With this one, programms like KGB Keylogger (used to preserve my children) are directly and instantly deleted without question if we want to accept the programm, to add as exception or to delete the file.

I only can add exception with Mc Afee if I disconnect it and download KGB, at that time, the programm works but when I connect Mc Afee again, the programm is directly deleted automatiquely in spite of already adding it as an autorised programm under Internet /Firewall/Advanced/autorised programms.

I'm fed up with this problem, I don't know how to manage with it and think of deleting Mc Afee on my computer.

My license is valid until 2010 and I've already tried to uninstall and install Mc Afee Security Center again and again, but without any result.

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for my bad English but my mother's tongue is French.
        • 1. RE: Problem with KGB Keylogger and Mc Afeee Security Center
          Peter M
          Keylogging software is basically spyware so will be treated as such by VirusScan. You can try submitting the file to the Threat Center for analysis but it is doubtful that they will give you the OK.

To send it to the Threat Center outside of Security Center.....

First disable VirusScan:

To temporarily turn off VirusScan do the following:

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
          Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
          Click Configure (left)
          Click Computer & Files (top left)
          You can disable VirusScan in the right-hand module and tell it for how long.

Then click the Restore button (left & assuming it was quarantined) & restore the item.

Send the file to Avert for analysis:
          http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
          or
          https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
          or
          Email file to: [EMAIL="virus_research@avertlabs.com"]virus_research@avertlabs.com
          When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

Also see *Unofficial* Increase In Size Of Submissions To Threat Center

If the final email response is not favourable, reply to it, keeping headers intact, and they will investigate further
          • 2. RE: Problem with KGB Keylogger and Mc Afeee Security Center
            Thank you for the reply.

But the KGB Programm was not in quarantine, it's just deleted directly.
            I have a window with the name of KGB and the information that the programm has been deleted on my screen, the only choice I have is to click on "OK" about the information. I can neither click on autorise the programm, nor add as exception or any other choice because nothing else is proposed.

So I definitly can't use KGB Programm with MC Afee I suppose.
            But I don't want to keep an antiviruse software that delete all the files and don't allow to choose if we wan't to delete it, to allow it, to put it as exception, etc.

Other software allow several choices or actions why not Mc Afee ?

And I still don't understand why I have the old presentation of MC Afee Security Center and Virusscan again instead of the new one...

But again, thank your for your reply, that's very nice.
            • 3. RE: Problem with KGB Keylogger and Mc Afeee Security Center
              Peter M
              A long time ago exceptions were allowed, but with the ever increasing danger presented by the newer threats I guess it was decided to take the decision making out of the hands of the user.

We have asked repeatedly for its re-introduction to no avail.

You can still use the procedure outlined above. Disable McAfee VirusScan and install the programme as long as it needs for you to submit it to the Threat Center.

Meanwhile you may want to discuss with the software developers ways of solving it from their end if that's possible.
              • 4. RE: Problem with KGB Keylogger and Mc Afeee Security Center
                Thank you for your reply and your piece of advice.